"Old" vs. "new" digital equipment

Some recent posts about how far digital has come have got me thinking. I have a Theta DS Pro Gen III dac fed by a CEC TL5100Z as a transport. (The rest of the system is ARC LS2B Mk II into ARC VT-100 Mk II into Vandy 3a Sigs and 2WQ sub.)

I wonder what improvements I might hear if I were to go to a newer dac or newer cdp. In my current system, I hear grain when I listen to massed strings, some congestion on orchestral peaks, but otherwise most generally like what I hear.

Would newer digital stuff mitigate or eliminate these issues?

If I were to upgrade, where might I head next?

More generally, can anyone characterize the differences between my "old" Theta and newer digital equipment?

TIA.

David
Ag insider logo xs@2xbikecommuter
I listen to a lot of orchestral music and, like you, noticed the grain in massed strings, and the congestion, exactly as you describe, and it began to drive me nuts. My system (at least an earlier version) was pretty similar to yours, except it started with a Linn CD12, and I used various different pre-amps...but same speakers and amp (except mine is a MK III).

I became more or less obsessed with trying to straighten out the string sound (some of which is reported in other threads). I thought the CD12 would do it, and was disappointed, etc., etc. Bottom line: I didn't get the grain and congestion under control to my satisfaction until finally (after 15+ years of disuse) I re-habbed my Linn LP12, bought a new Koetsu black, got an EAR phono-pre (can't rememeber the number -- the $1500 model) and started playing Decca, EMI, Phillips and other well-made Lps (including many Speakers Corner Lps).

Probably not really the answer you want to hear, but...And I should add that one of the CDP's I'm still working with is an EMM CDSA (which retrieved noticeably more info than the Linn CD12). But massed strings still don't (to me) sound quite right on it, compared to Lps. I think it must have to do with the limitations of the CD medium.

I did, however, just a few days ago order an EAR Acute CDP, based upon all the positive reports of its "analog-like" sound, and based upon my very positive reaction to the EAR phono-pre. I did that because in the last 6 months, I've hardly touched my CD collection, and I need some way to enjoy them. Too much good material out there...

(Isn't it kind of annoying that you spend a bunch of money on getting better and better gear, only to find that, at a certain point, maybe you're almost getting too much information?)
Bikecommuter, take a look at my thread entitled: Reference DACS: An overall perspective along with my reviews of the Accustic Arts DACS ( MK4 and the Tube Hybrid reference) for lots of details concerning new/old digital front ends and the difference in DACS sonicly.
Eweedhome,

You're right -- not the answer I was hoping for, but one I suspected might come. Thanks for the response.

Teajay,

Will do. Thanks.

Any other thoughts or ideas out there?

David