Recharging Nargra Pl-P

I traded a Nagra amp online not knowing too much about it other than the nice look and feel of its interface. Its seems that the row of D batteries are dead. I was wondering how to go about e-charging them. Or do I have to replace them? They appear to be soldered together and possibly heat-shrunk wrapped together.

This is the only reason I can think of why it would not power up, other than some other unforeseen damage, and likewise, a scam. But id like to think not.

Any suggestions?

Also, while i am at it, what sort of cables will I need to get this wired to a turntable and speakers? Any suggested brands or idea of price range? I these get to be too much I may try to sell this item, assuming it works,and at a significant discount. If that's the case, is the serial number shown inside, because there is nothing on the outside.

Thank you all.
lavapspit
PS: Looks here like someone is just using a row of D batteries: http://www.review33.com/m/forum_msg.php?db=1&topic=23040110092333&start=8510&sort=1

Is this advisable
The User Manual clearly states that in an emergency one could operate the PL-P on standard D-Cell alkalines, but I have never gotten one to even power up in that state.

I personally own a PL-P Power Supply Charger (PL-P CCC3) that I can sell you as well as a set of pre-loved, but unused Battery Sticks (batons). The power supply I obtained years ago thinking I was going to obtain a Demo or Protoype PL-P.

NEW this supply is over $1100, but I will sell you mine and a new old stock set of NiCad batteries.

Send me an email and we will discuss prices.
Would the CCC3 recharge the battery sticks that are already in place?

Why would the batteries die in the first place? Do they just drain slowly when not in use, like any other battery? Is there some other explanation? Im trying to figure out if I have a defect...
So how did this end up? Did you get to listen to your PLP? What do you think?