Recommendations for 1000

I need better audio for my home. I am using my computer to play music with a sound blaster X-fi card with Optical out and in and every other basic output. It is hooked up to a projector and is often used for dvds. I'm uncertain whether i should get 5.1 or stay two channel. I have a budget of 1k and need speakers and a receiver or amp. I am willing to buy receiver and 2 speakers now and add later if I must. I need some recommendation. I was leaning towards 2 floor stand klipsch and their 12 inch subwoofer. Thanks.
cwaigy
The room is a long skinny room around 50' by 25' with cement walls. Mostly used for music but also needs to work well with movies. I love a strong bass with music so it has to have a larger subwoofer. I am unsure if i should get matching satellites or if its smarter to have a stronger speakers infront with surround speakers that are smaller. I was thinking the klipsch quintet 2 or getting two klipsch floor standing speakers and their 12 subwoofer and adding the center and surrounds later. I haven't been able to find a decent audio place around here to listen to different set ups, although i am trying a new place about 45minutes away in hopes they will have better inventory. I'm open to any suggestions, different brands; really doesn't matter to me as long as they sound well.
Ebay is fine in my experience. But the bidding process is aggravating. You pretty much have to use a sniper unless it is something that doesn't have much interest. I bought a great pair of old Phase Tech PC series speakers for almost nothing that way.

I tend to prefer subwoofers for sound below 70 Hz or so because you can move it around to overcome room problems. And subs have gotten much less expensive.
A room 50'x 25' with cement walls is going to present you a real challenge to fill for $1K. I don't mean to sound discouraging but that's a large room, no question. Yes, a large subwoofer is going to be needed for sure. But they alone for this size room could run close to $1K or more. My room at 13' x 23' x 8' with furniture, carpet, and drapes on a cement first floor was challenging enough. I've spent over $4K to finally get the sound and bass I want with 5.1 Surround Sound (B&W, Marantz, NAD, & Rotel, Monster cable, etc). The 5.1 fills the room vs 2 channel stereo which doesn't (at least not for me). I love hearing the music in front of and behind me. If you could close off part of the room and make a smaller listening room, carpet it, etc., it will be easier and less expensive to get the sound and bass you want. Yes, you can purchase 2 loudspeakers and a receiver for under $1K but will it be to your satisfaction for that size room? Not sure. Read Robert Harley's book, the "Complete Guide to High-End Audio" or his other book on Home Theater. All the best.