Record-playing Rituals?

I'm curious what everybody's riuals are when listening to albums. How often do you clean the records? Every Time? How often do you clean and lubricate the stylus? Every time?

David
deshapiro
Detlof, that is a very interesting situation that has happened to you. I am not certain I have any better explanation, but would like to offer the following.

Usually, only the best new releases, such as the 45 RPM reissues from Classic Records, do not benefit from a cleaning with the RR fluids. Perhaps the extra care afforded to these specialty LP's make cleaning either unnecessary, or at least (in some cases) less important.

Perhaps the old LP you had was pressed differently on one side, as you suggested. Another more likely situation is that it was overplayed. When that LP was new, and popular, many people were still using Scotch tape to fasten coins to the turntables tonearm. This was often the remedy when a new stylus was needed. It would only require one time with an auto play turntable left unattended to destroy the delicate material. I know of times in my youth when families left an LP on as background music, letting it play for hours on the same side. A brand new turntable with the best cartridge will damage an LP if that policy is followed. Back then, it would take little more than once with a coin taped in place.

Please continue to test, especially with newer and more predictable pressings. The RR fluid is manufactured from lab grade water, and VERY little cleaner. The active ingredient is carbon based, and contains no alcohol, detergents or lubricants. If properly vacuumed (VPI) I cannot imagine that there is much left except the vinyl surface.

It is possible that the LP was treated with a silicone spray or cloth (popular long ago) and the through washing removed all the coatings that had accumulated. In theory, that should have provided an improvement, but as with all things in high end, the strangest things do happen. Please keep us up to date on your progress, and thanks for sharing the test results so far.
Albert, thankyou for your excellent reasoning and your extraordinary experience, which you so openly share with us. Much food for thought indeed! Yes, I'll keep on experimenting and will post it here in due course.
Warm regards to all!
Well, I've been busy experimenting and my new findings are still not carved in stone but here goes: The RR treatment seems excellent for large orchestral works such as RCA shaded dogs with Reiner and the Chicago Philharmonics. There is not only a noticeable difference in width and depth of soundstage between treated and untreated sides of the same LP, but the overall sound seems richer and more lush. Strings and horns especially just seem to have more bloom. A contrary experience was with an old Verve Stereo with Ella Fitzgerald, "Clap hands here comes Charlie", which I had newly bought and where my findings were quite similar to the old Satchmo LP I had written about before. The one side, which I had treated, sounded fine, but there was no real definition of the soundspace of the accompanying instruments. Ella's voice and the rest of the band seemed to be on just one horizontal plane. There was no depth to write home about. The untreated side, though generally more dry in its rendering, showed definite layering of the different instruments, with Ella firmly placed in her own soundspace. The rendering was less lush, but in a sense more realistic with the various instruments playing around her. Also her voice was better definied, much like Armstrongs'voice seemed better to me untreated. So I am still puzzled and will keep on trying to find out if its all in the mind or if there is a reasonable basis to my findings.
Cheers to all,
Detlof: What cleaning fluids have you tried other than the Nitty Gritty that you mentioned ? I am curious as to how the VPI and Disc Doctor record cleaning fluids stack up against the NG and and Record Research Labs. Any comments ? Obviously, others are more than welcome to chime in with their experiences. Sean
>
Sean, I just cannot give you a definite answer. I've tried a lot, incl. homebrew and I am more than confused. They all do something to the sound, but according to my ears, the results are anything but uniform. Some lps seem to improve, some not, even seem to get get worse. I like the RRL with classical music, but sometimes only after a retreatment with my concotion of trifluor-trichlorethane and molybden-liquid,(ex sctratch fixer) but then again, sometimes it seems to screw up the soundstage. I don't know NG, never tried Disc Doctor, but VPI is waiting on the shelve and next on my list. Sorry to be of no help.