RMAF 2008 - Your impressions,...

I know there's still few hours to go but I was wondering what my fellow Audiogoners think of RMAF 2008. What equipment left great impression, even what was a bit of a let down...As for me, it was my first year and my time was very limited, but I have to point out Emerald Physics for their CS1 and CS2, which are great speakers, selling for much less (esp. CS2) than you would think. They sound a bit different than what most of us are used to due to their unique design. Unfortunately their need for two amps make it little difficult to integrate them in my system, otherwise they'd be on top of my list. I also have to mention AV123 and GR-Research whose X-static speakers must be one of the best bargains on the market (I know, we all have heard it before...), anybody looking for a $1000 dollar speakers (and even much more) need to give these a listen.
branislav
Step,

I have a Lector T3 and can live with it and it does have some exellent qualities about it.

The PD was my favorite CDP I heard at the show.

But they all pale when comparied to even a simple TT setup.
The Garrard TT smoked them all. When you consider the money one would spend on a Garrard 301 TT, TA and cart it would be less money or the same as one of these phoney sounding CDP would cost.

Garrard TT $4000.00
TA $2000.00
Cart $4000.00
RC $400.00

Big ass CDP $10,000.00/$15,000.00 EMM,Esoteric.
Dcstep, there has been an ongoing argument about digital versus vinyl for at least twenty years. while I certainly would agree about the best of vinyl reproduction being better than the best of digital reproduction, I find there has been a very great improvement in digital in the last several years. I suspect, however, that there is little agreement as to which companies now represent the best digital and even whether the best digital is to be found in CDPlayers or in music servers. I personally am a recent convert to digital off hard drives. There is also the question of sacds versus redbook. Here I still favor sacds, although I find there is a tradeoff between greater dynamics on redbook formats such as XRCD and a great sense of realism in the soundstage of sacds.

I also recent heard a demonstration of mono records at the RMAF that resulted in my buying a mono cartridge and mono versions of some classics that were originally available in both mono and stereo. I already have about 200 mono recordings, somewhere. Yet another format to have access to.

Finally, the Tape Project pulls me back to having tapes as a source. Here I will not give in. Tapes are the best but are just too much of a pain.

I suspect that very soon we have access to many recordings in 24/96 or even 24/192 are higher and that this may further improve digital.

When I first entered audio, ones choices were fm or vinyl. It was years before I heard a quality tape recording. I rejoice in my choices although storage and equipment are an issue.
A lot has happened in 20-years Tbg. Digital is finally maturing, with upsampling strategies and hard drive server-based systems. I haven't done hard drive yet, but I will within the next year or so. Playback Designs will soon have a separate DAC and ADC. I expect to use the ADC to convert my D2D LPs to digital and move my high rez digital to a server with terabytes of storage. The next generation of HDs will likely close the gap.

I've got CD, SACD, DVD-A and analog and find that they're finally converging in quality.

Dave
Dave, I just can't believe that the only cd players worth their weight are ones that cost $10,000+ and that there are only three that make the grade. If your ears say so then, that's ok by me. I just know, to my ears there a plenty of much much cheaper cd players that sound excellent, the Arcam T192 for Instance.
I would love to hear your player if only to drool over a cd player that is for me unobtainable.
I have heard one of the UK's most respected hi-fi reviewers personal system on more than one occasion and I must say it brought tears to a glass eye.

Gawdbless,

Out of curiosity - What were the components in this system?