Schweikert VR4-Jr vs. Gallo Reference 3 with SA

Good Day All,

I have read a number of post with regard to these two speakers, but many are fairly old and before the Gallo's were even officially released. I am now trying to get as much input as possible on comparing these. Please not that it is between the VR4-Jr and the Gallo Reference 3 WITH THE SUBWOOFER AMP. Without considering the price difference ($4000 for VR4-Jr vs $3400 for Ref 3 and SA) and without alternative suggestions, would anyone who has been able to listen to these two please post their opinions, comments, experiences etc.

With Thanks and Regards,
X
xenithon

Pmotz,
I'm actually working with Rives on my room (I'm in the process of building out the Rives design) and yes, he recommends the 4jrs, but I liked the Gallos better. My room is 13' X 15'6" and the speakers are "on" the long wall--speakers to listening position is about 7 feet.

Xenithon,
Please keep us posted on the SA--I wrote back & forth to Gallo just about 3 weeks ago and they were completely mum--no comment on production, no commitment to any design or date.

bgrazman
Please don't take offense this is just my observation.

For those who haven't seen the Gallo Reference in person.. I almost fell over laughing when I saw them at my local dealer, they are so small (knee high).All the pictures and reviews I thought they were these huge speakers and they look like toys based on my expectations. A couple of my other audio buddies said the same thing. I didn't listen to them.

I did like the look of the grills when they were put on.

I have listened to the VR4jr's and the VR4 GenIII and the jr's work fine in a small room my dealers is like 10x11 and the bass impact was really impressive for a small speaker and the forward facing port would help with getting them closer to the back wall.
Cytocycle, you must be about 10' tall if the gallos are "knee-height". They are 30" tall, which is small for a floorstander, but nothing miniature. Also, to me that was a big "plus", because I prefer modern/minimalist design.

You don't need a big speaker for big sound...
Jcruse: I was Really Really just taken back by their size I really thought they were 6' high from all the pictures in the magazines. I know you don't need a big speaker for big sound and they are cool looking. The dealer said the same thing that everyone comes in and is shocked by their small size.

Your preference for modern/minimalist(my listening room is kinda busy with all the treatments) is just like mine and that is why I bought WP7's instead of Soundlabs
Hi Guys,

Spoke to my dealer again. The shipment is leaving in 2-3 weeks. The amplifiers are apparently ready and waiting, it is the Ref III's themselves which are taking their time due to the high demand (and South Africa aint exactly high on the priority list of countries :)

So the questions begs: wait till end of year/beginning Jan for the Ref III's with amp, or go for a pair of VR4-Jr's which I can currently get at a roughly equivalent price??

Music I listen to is light rock (cranberries), light classical, new age (adiemus, vangelis) but the majority is female vocals.

X