Scraping sound

I'm getting a scraping sound. This noise sounds like when the record is over & the stylus scratches the label. The scraping sound is most pronounced between cuts but can be heard underlying the music.

Where do I begin looking to fix this?

The setup: VPI Scoutmaster & arm with Soundsmith Zephyr

Thanks
maxh
Follow up Q: my Delos does not produce a scrapping sound on all records -- just some. If the stylus was worn or schoozted-up, would the scrapping sound always be present? It might seem that it would??? In any case, as soon as my Zephyr comes back from SS, the next "patient" will be the Delos for an inspection.
Bill_K,

After I typed out my response, I looked at your reply again and thought I may have read your post wrong. I don't see how the platter bearing could cause a scraping noise like the OP describes. (I'm not saying you are wrong. I may be overlooking something.) On my VPI's, there's no grease but they do have a light coating of oil. I find that if I don't clean it, things like dust and lint stick to it. The design of the arm is so sensitive, I thought a little dust may knock the cart out of alignment.
The back of the cartridge is scraping the record.
The arm is a VPI JMW 9t.

Any suggestions about the best way to remedy this?

Thanks
How long have you had the cartridge? The suspension may have collapsed. If so you will need to send it back to Soundsmith.

Or you may just need to raise the arm up further if the suspension is ok. Is the tonearm level when playing a record? If not is the back of the tonearm higher or lower than the front?