Sell or keep my Turntable

I have a Rega Planar 3 with RB300 tonearm and Linn K9 cartridge I purchased in 1988. I used it that summer and with a few exceptions it has not seen much use. I just find using CD more convenient. I have 150 records and will probably get back into them at sometime in my life but the Rega just sits boxed in the basement.

I'm contemplating selling it to use the funds in my current system.

Have you sold your TT and later regretted it?

Are current TT's that much better so I should sell the Rega and buy a TT if I happen to get back into vinyl someday?

If I decide to sell the Rega what would be a reasonable asking price?

Thanks - Jack
gooddomino
Don't sell. You'll get very little for your P3 and RB300 - certainly not enough to make a purposeful upgrade. Buying 150 new CDs will cost you more than you'll get from your P3 and 150 LPs. Buy a new cartridge, say a DV10X-5 and play your music again.
What a great thread! I've been wrestling with this question a bit myself lately. I have a P25/Benz Glider that I haven't used in a couple of months because I don't currently have a phono stage. And, any used phono stage that I want is at least $1000. Plus another IC. Plus, I really want to upgrade my TT if I do that.

I have several digital formats going at the moment, CD, SACD, 96/24 HDAD's, & DVD. I really think digital technology has gotten to the point where it's a lot more cost effective than vinyl (once you figure in a good record cleaner, phono stage, & get beyond the entry level TT & cartridge), But, I'm not going to sell all my vinyl--I have a lot of LP's that "mean a lot" to me.

Are you really attached to your vinyl LP's? If not, then maybe sell the lot & your P3. To quote Onhwy61:
*You basically haven't used the TT in 16 years. That says it all - SELL IT!*

As for me, I'm bugged with all the dues & expense & inconvenience of vinyl. But I'm also thinking of upgrading my TT to one of the better Basis or VPI models. This is partly because "I want more cool toys". No one says that a hobby always has to "make sense".

Good luck!
Great thread indeed...I sold all my LP's! Thanks David!

So they are sold - No more emails please, and thank you for all who wrote. There's a good reason for keeping your turntable Steve - 369 LP's for the price of 10 CD's!! Not bad!

Marco
My philosophy with audio equipment and all other things- sell (or give) what you are not using now to someone who can enjoy it now.

There will always be another available later.