Shipping Vinyl LP's

My brother-in-law is giving me 200 vinyl jazz albums from the 60's. The LP's are in Milwaukee and I'm in Los Angeles. Has anyone ever shipped a large quantity of vinyl before? I'm going to Milwaukee to pack them myself and to arrange shipping back here. Any help on this would be appreciated.

thanks,

Mitch
128x128mitch4t
I shipped 200 Lps across the country twice in the same boxes via USPS media mail and they did arrive just fine.
I used thick imported wine boxes. Hard to come by I admit.
But as long as the boxes can be dropped 3 feet and survive completely intact, you are covered. If the box is so heavy/flimsy that it cannot pass such a test, you are asking for trouble.
The Amtrack advice may be the solution... never used them, but sounds worth a shot.
I mailed a bunch of LPs USPS to Hong Kong. I went to U-Hual and got the box that is just right for albums and the next size bigger (12x12x12 and 14x14x14 I think).

Put the albums in the small box and it in the larger with wadded up newspaper between to absorb some shock. Tape well. It worked great and all 500 arrived safely in about 12 boxes.
Hey Mitch,
Try going to your local pack and ship and getting 13x13x4
or 13x13x6 boxes. You want to use multiple boxes as they
will be smaller and lighter and less likely to be damaged.

Plus you want to pack your albums "tight" to help prevent any possable warping if they spend time in a hot truck,
warehouse,etc... Put your padding around the albums, not
between them.

USPS Priority insured would get them to you fast, if you
are going all that way to do this yourself why go slow mail
to get them home.

Too bad I dont live closer to you, you could borrow my VPI
to clean your new vinyl.

Charlie
Use Fedex Ground and insure them for $2000 [so they won't screw around]. It will still be your cheapest and safest option. However, make sure you pack well.