so many choices, yet so little to demo

What's a person to do? I'm in the market for new speakers. I go to few mid end stores (within 100 miles) and listen to Monitor Audio, PSB's and Golden Ear. Of course all are different stores. Then I come here and find another 25 brands that aren't carried in my state, no less area.

That being said I surely will not ask for a recommendation and I'm fairly confident that I am not the first to have this issue. And honestly, I don't believe that I ever read a BAD speaker review and comparisons always end up saying the two are really close. Useless to the average person.

My market range is for a 5 speaker HT setup that I will use for audio as well. I have an Onkyo PR-SC885 pre/proc driving an Emotiva UPS-7 (7ch @ 125W each) . My price range is 1700-2500. I feel that I really need to hear them before I lay down the money and knowing the markup need to get a deal. That combo is nearly impossible, deals are usually only on the internet (B- stock, demo, several years old)and the mid end stores want list price and don't carry any of the above.

I know many internet dealers allow returns but there are so many caveats attached. So I don't view that as a solution.

Shall I limit myself to only those brands I can demo in my area? How have you guys/gals addressed this?

Thanks in Advance
wzakaras
I've solved your problem for you!! Here is an all-Gallo surround sound system that uses their fabulous CDT tweeter at all positions except subwoofer (of course!). The system is very well-matched timbrally and has a very nice subwoofer for the bottom end and a great center channel for tha all-important dialog track on movies.

And, best of all, Gallo allows for a 60-day in-home trial with NO risk to you - they pay shipping both ways. I'm betting you'll get this in-house and be thrilled:

http://www.roundsound.com/home-theater/classico-ht-system-3.html

-RW-

PS: I have an Emotiva UMC-1 and XPA-5 driving an all-Gallo surround system and it sounds terrific!!
You budget for 5 speakers is low, so if I was you , I wouldn't shy away from B stock or reputable internet vendors. You know that you are not going to get state of the art, but PSB is almost universally acclaimed, and it cetainly sounds pretty good in my friends HT. B stock is often very minor imperfections. I wouldn't stress too much. Go with a good brand that you can afford and that has been reviewed well in the areas that you find impotant.
IME these days local Mid/HiFi shops are willing to make a deal. There are different levels of PSB (Image, Imagine Series); assuming you like them I'll bet the dealer would put a package together if it involves 5 spkrs.
But, pricing will be in the area at the top of your budget.
I think Rlwainwright did it for you. Gallo makes great stuff, and I would buy that even if I couldn't hear it first.