Soliloquy 6.2 Very Poor Treble .....

After several calls to David Berman at Soliloquy, without a response. I will put it to the Audiogoner's . Will I need to change the tweeter or rebuild the crossover to "brighten up" the highs in this speaker....Or should I just trade them off and start over ????. I kind of like the speakers if I could get them to sound a little better. Maybe that is why they are no longer in the speaker business...I think that changing the tweeter would be the easiest but I will be open-minded.....Thanks
autospec
Trelja, I had the back off my 6.2s a few days ago. There are two crossover boards. One attached to the front inside of the box and another to the removable plate on the back of the speaker. The Crossover on the plate is marked "tweeter" it definitely has a sizable air coil and what appears to be a large resistor contained in a rectangular plastic box ...and if memory serves me correctly, there was what appeared to be a second large capacitor/resistor (dime diameter about 3/4 inch long). Retrospectively that seems odd.

Could you advise further from this simplistic description? I too am interested in getting a bit more sparkle from my 6.2s.
Didn't Tannoy make an ad on tweeter.I am spacing on the manufacturers name but they make a G2 ribbon tweeter that I believbe can be added to top of speaker.Just Google "G2 tweeter" and it will come up.
G'luck
chazzbo
Boa2 I agree with you on the positioning of the speakers. And also allowing them to breakin. Too many times I've seen people waste a boat load of money trying to make a speaker do something that it's not capable of. I would think the main goal of a cable.Is to get as much of the signal to the component as possible with minimal loss.
It should'nt be thought as the quick fix.

I've rebuilt the crossovers in one pair of speakers I've owned. It made a huge difference for the better . At the same time I think back to what else I could have used the money for ..like another pair of speakers. Or maybe towards another component.

As far as the cable tone controls go. I see nothing wrong with testing the waters. But some ask for way too much of a speaker cable or a interconnect. For example ..I constantly see posting for cables to make the system warmer or fuller or more bass or better highs. No doubt they make a difference but there's a limit to what any cable will do for a system. Some times the problems upstream all along. The cable may just reveal a weakness upstream. Instead of fixing that problem people use cables to smooth it over or cover it up,the same with tubes.

And then other times it's just the speakers themselves. It may not be a good match with the rest of the system. So do you replace the whole system or replace the speakers? YMMV this is just my opinion.
I do have some Audio Research Cables for sale, but I have a lot of Audio Research speaker cables.....I really like it. My speakers have the soft dome tweeter . I would even be willing to try a ribbon tweeter if I had a good idea of a good one that was not too expensive . I like the resistor idea also and will look into that as soon as I get a minute...I really enjoy the wonderful input on this problem....I wish I could have talked to David Berman a little about this also...
Thank you, Usblues!

Distortion, you are lucky to have the crossover divided up onto two boards. It's very good design. I am pretty unfamiliar with the Soliloquy speakers, but I have liked the sound of those I have heard.

On the tweeter board, the inductor is obvious. The dime diamater 3/4" long component sounds like the capacitor, but you should really look at the writing on it and the other component. One will give the resistance value and power rating (say 12 Ohm and 5 or 10 watt) and the other will give the capacitance value and voltage (say 8 uF and 250V). In the end, the capacitor is probably encased in plastic, whereas the resistor is probably made of a harder substance such as a ceramic.

You want to simply use one of these jumpers with alligator clips on each end (probably available at any Radio Shack and a lot of Dollar Stores), and attach each end to the opposite resistor leads. This will bypass the resistor with the wire.

In a crossover, the resistor is used to attenuate the tweeter. The vast majority of tweeters are more sensitive than midrange/woofers (ie 92 db/2.83V tweeter and 89 db/2.83V midrange), and the resistor serves to balance things out.

For me, most high end speakers these days sound treble forward, and seem to need more resistance on the tweeter leg. It's a VERY personal thing, which also depends a lot of cabling (as has been wisely mentioned here) as well as the room one is in. With my tastes, in my bright room, I tend to pad down a tweeter too much - perhaps this is also how this speaker was designed. Again, it's a personal thing, but for Autospec, presuming he liked everything else the way things are, reducing the resistance on the tweeter should certainly bring the treble forward.

If one finds the high end wakes up via bypassing the tweeter, but things are too hot and some resistance is needed, I really like the resistors that NorthCreek Music sells. For about $3, they're superior to what just about any high end audio company uses.