Sonic qualities of SET output tubes?

Can you readily identify a 300B, 2A3, 805, 211, etc., amp’s sound with your eyes closed most of the time?

If so, I’sure would like to hear from you.

Amplifier design and the technology utilized within its confines decides the ‘voice’ or influence it will yield as much or more so than merely the output tubes the designer has chosen to use.

I get that part emphatically. One must hear the amp regardless the type of output tube technology on hand.

And yes, some Pentodes and Tetrodes are used as Triodes but are not indeed triodes by their specific architecture. That’s OK, just focus on their use as Triodes herein, please.

There are however certain tube types, irrespective of vintage which have basic undeniable sonic colors or characteristics, apart from their electrical aspects which keep attracting people to amps which use this or that tube in its output stage.

Some love 211s. some adore 300Bs. Some love EL34s configured to run as Triodes. I have an affinity for the latter. So far anyway. This topic could change my mind.

Has your own experience informed you what this or that output tube’s natural flavor regularly announces itself to be so you can have a reasonable expectation of its general presentation?

What sonic attribute continually attracts you to a particular SET tube design, 300B or some others?

Or, conversely, what is it about the sound that would bring you to covet a 211 amp over a 2A3, for example.

Why as another example, would you pick a 2A3 amp over one using 805s or 300B, 211, etc. or vice versa?

Removing ‘vintages’ and electronic or electrical qualities from the argument, what sonic attributes for the more popular S.E.T. amp output tubes have you determined seem to persist in their particular DNA?

I’m asking for input from those SET tube devotees to lend their experiences and knowledge on the subject of what tube sounds like what irrespective of the SET application, generally speaking.

My goal is to try getting a better feel for which SET Tube amp design, if any, I’d want to pursue and possibly invest heavily into going forward as the soul of a new system.

Tremendous thanks to all!

blindjim
Ralph, besides Classic Audio, what would you recommend to use with your amps? Also, do you believe that short length Mogami RCA cables are just as good as XLR? I mean 2497 wire.
If you keep the cables short you can do pretty well with single-ended connections. I can't comment about the single-ended Mogami- not tried it.

Regarding speakers, Audiokinesis, older Quads (newer ones need the ZEROs), Sound Lab (with our bigger amps), Coincident, Devore, Lowther, PHY (will need a speaker protection fuse as they only handle 20 watts), most horn systems and single-driver systems, AvantGarde, Merlin, Magnaplanars (use ZEROs, Eminent Technology (may need to use ZEROs) Vandersteen, Certain Avalons such as the Eidelon, JM Labs, Rogers LS35a, certain Sonus Fabors, Pipedreams, and many more.

The trick is similar to what you look for with an SET or any tube amp using no loop feedback, which is to say that the woofers should be the same impedance generally speaking as the midrange. Dual woofer systems that are 4 ohms in the bass and 8 ohms otherwise don't work so well. The difference between our amps and SETs is that we can work with speakers of much less efficiency, but personally I do prefer efficient speakers as I like to crank the hell out of the system once in a while and don't see the point of struggling to do that.
Stfoth…Mine came with the Gold Lion KT88s, an Amperex USA 6SN7GTB from some NOS vintage, and a JJ 5Y3S rectifier. I've since bought another Amperex that sounds identical to the supplied one (different getters, but labeled a USA tube), a new issue Gold Lion GZ34/U77 rectifier which works great with the 88s, and the 274B which sounds like the GZ34 but looks cooler. I also have a set of JJ KT77s but they lack the resolution and sparkle of the 88s in this amp. Note that none of these tubes are particularly expensive (the Shuguang 274B was 18 bucks shipped from China), and you need less of 'em for this amp anyway.
Hi Bill,
I’d truly be honored to be a beta tester for this "unique " 300b-digital (all in one audio product). This sounds unusually interesting . Bill I thought you had tried the Zero transformers in the past and had mixed results. If I’m mistaken then my apology.
Charles
Ralph, thank you, appreciate your response.
So.. 8 ohm average 89db two way speakers with one 8" woofer and 1" tweeter schould work well enough in a medium size room, generally speaking.