Sony DVP9000es Audio Settings

Switching back and forth between attn. on/off makes a big change in my system. I wonder if this is why the 9000 gets some bad reviews? The filter is more subtle. I am using EVS atenuators and the diffence is amazing when the units attn. setting is on.
Tim
flemke
I found the Audio ATT (Attenuation) OFF and FILTER Sharp the most faithful setting for the 9000ES. The music sounds the most dynamic, flesh-out, and sweetest. This refers to the ModWright 9000ES with Level III Mod + tube output stage.
Paul bui
You are talking about a completly different machine. Those of you using a stock 9000es try attn off and on. Do you hear a change? I do not use a pre amp.,just attenuators and it's quite a big change.
Attenuation on "lowers the level of the analog audio outputs to prevent distortion" according to a review of the DVP-N999ES I read. This setting does not sound good on the 9000ES I use. Sounds lifeless and, not suprisingly, muted. My machine is stock (not for long though) and I also use the sharp/att off settings. It is nice though to have the option to fine tune it to what works best in one's own system.

Sorlowski, I've read many of your posts regarding your remorse at buying the Sony and I hope you've found something that you are satisfied with. Let it go man, we've all made puchases we regret. Life is too short to let a DVD player eat at your brain.
I was talking about a SONY DVP-S9000ES, modded or stock. Witness Pilar whose findings are the same with that of mine (SHARP/ATT OFF).
Pilar,
>Life is too short to let a DVD player eat at your brain.
It is not that bad, especially that Service so far is not able to repair it :) (but they will, I know :) ) so I do not have possibility to compare it with old CD any more, and do not get frustrated any more too, but unfortunately I get when I read rave posts about it knowing that there are hundreds better players IMHO.
Any other player did not get that much positive attention here (3 threads on this page!!!-why is that). And knowing how it sounds how reliable it is I'm getting frustrated and I feel I have to respond to warn others. Just my 2 cents.