SOTA cosmos turntables

I am looking at the SOTA cosmos turntable. Has anyone compared it to a Brinkmann balance, SME, AVID, etc. ?
dbjain
Dmccombs,

Yes, SOTA can be slow. They are a very small company. However, let me relate a little story to you.

Last May, I sent my Cosmos to SOTA. Fedex absolutely trashed it. Long story short - Fedex took until September to pay off on the claim, and SOTA took from then until Dec. 24 to deliver my virtually new from the ground up Cosmos. Now, back in early December I began pestering Kirk and Donna to get it back to me to ease my vinyl withdrawal symptoms. Kirk called me back and said "I know you have waited a long time, but I'm not comfortable with the way this new bearing is seating. It might be OK or it might not, but I'm going to keep it until it's right". Personally, that's the kind of care and attention that I want. Yes, I had to wait a couple of more weeks, but I'm absolutely sure that I have a 'table that will last many, many years.

Disclaimer: I have no relation to SOTA or its owners other than that of 'satified customer', but I will tell you this - I believe that they care deeply about their customers, and act accordingly. As an example, Donna (with my help on this end) dogged Fedex until they gave in. She didn't have to do it. After all, it was my claim. Just another example of them wanting to make sure things are right.
Curriemt,

I don't think we are disagreeing. I have been working with Kirk and Donna, and they are terrific people. The table quality is excellent as well.

But, you do have to have the patience of a Saint. I am not saying it isn't worth it, but those considering Sota tables do need to realize the time it takes to make and service Sota tables.

If someone wants superb quality and doesn't mind the lengthy delays sometimes incurred, than Sota may be for them. The tables are fantastic. My Star/Sapphire sounds terrific, and I have a Cosmos on the way.

If a potential buyer thinks that not having their high end table for 3-6 months is intolerable, then Sota is not for them.

I understand they are a small shop, and I agree they are good people. They are busy all the time with a huge back log. What perplexes me is why they don't hire and train a few people to help with the easier stuff so they can sell and service more tables.

Surely the long services times and time to build new tables steers people away from buying Sota. Its a shame really. Some of the people I know would spend money on a Sota table or upgrade their current table were it not for the time factor.

I'm a Sota fan. I just think potential buyers should know both the pros and cons.
DBJain,

So did you decide to get a Cosmos table?

I got my Cosmos IV and have to echo the consensus above. The table has a superb finish, and is well built. The soundstage, clarity and depth of the bass is noticeably better than my previous Sota Star Sapphire table.

Kirk and Donna are a joy to deal with and Kirk has really supported the table when I got it back. I have a weird ground issue and he worked with my to get it resolved.

Things take a while, but Kirk told me he recently hired another tech, so hopefully repair time and the time to get new tables will drop a bit.

Weather you buy new or used, the Sota tables sound terrific and are a good value.

Good Luck in your decision DBJain.

Darrell
The problem I had with the Sota Cosmos was space. The dealer thought that I could not put the vacuum close enough, so we had to ditch that idea. I ended up getting a Clearaudio Avantagrde instead which fits very well, plays nicely, and has no hassels. I will do a final upgrade on it with a Graham Phantom tonearm and just call it a day. I think that after a certain level, the room your system is in will probably play a larger role than the turntable.
The table is pretty forgiving of the room, there is no feedback (iosolation is pretty excellent...you can bang the bottom of the shelf it rests and the speakers will transmit no sound), and it is reliable and unfussy.
I am just focusing on getting records; what is amazing is that you do not need anything else. Nearly every new release is being released on vinyl. I do not even see the need to buy computer based audio.
By the way, GnRs Chinese Democracy is quite so-so...
I have bought 50 records and am enjoying myself.