Speaker hum problem - need help

I've searched the forums and have seen past posts for this topic, however, I've yet to find an answer that fits my situation.

First, here's my equipment:
Coda CSib integrated amp
Ayre QB-9 DSD DAC
Auraliti PK-90 USB server
Dynaudio Focus 380 speakers
Audience Au-24 speaker cables
Cardas Clear XLR interconnects
Cardas Clear & Grover Huffman power cords
Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB

Here's the problem:

With only the amp plugged into power and the speakers connected, I get a 38 db invariant hum coming out of the speakers. The hum does not change no matter what the volume is on the amp. The hum does not change regardless of whether I have the amp plugged into the: wall, a power strip, or a power conditioner. The hum does not change regardless of power cord connected to it. The hum does not change when I plug in the remainder of components and cords into my system.....it is invariant.

I have tried to "lift the ground" with a 3/2 cheater plug, but this had no impact. I sent the amp back to the factory to be checked out and slightly upgraded; they could not reproduce the hum at the factory. A previous amp (tube) produced the same issue, however, with the tube amp, the hum got worse as the volume was raised.

I love the overall sound of this system, but this hum is definitely getting in the way of my enjoyment. Any thoughts out there about what is causing this problem and how to correct this issue?

Many thanks,

Matt
mwsl
Try another amp/preamp in your house. It may have really crappy AC outlets with wires just plugged in and old ones can make intermittent contact. Wiggle the plug in the wall and see if the hum changes. Usually a hum equals a ground loop. This is a mystery. Take your Coda to a friends house. If it (coda)works there, and something different in your house doesn't work, your wiring/outlets is suspect. If the Coda hums at a friends, send it to Coda again.
Well, I wasn't able to get to RS today (did a nearly 4 hour bike ride in 85 degree heat.....kinda beat), but, I was able to do the extension cord test. Used a (probably) 14 gauge 25 foot Home Depot type extension cord. Tried it in two separate outlets: one across the living room from the outlets I've mentioned, one down the hall. NO CHANGE!

I then tried changing the inputs on the amp (not that I have anything plugged in aside from my XLR and speaker cables), and ran through them all, with each remote outlet (with extension cord attached), and then again with amp plugged into the power strip I've been using. NO CHANGE on any input.

You know.....despite what they said at the factory, I am beginning to wonder about this amp. But, the argument against that was the experience with the previous (tube) amp, with different speakers and cabling. Same hum, except variable based on volume of amp.

I tried one other experiment.....with the amp plugged into it's usual power strip, I tried some other speakers I have in the house....a set of Monitor Audio Silver 7's. Believe it or not.....still heard the same hum!!

I live in a semi-rural neighborhood in the SF Bay Area. There's low density housing and no industry locally. You'd think that would create for some pretty high quality electrical sources? Sounds like I need to buy that outlet checker.

I have contacted the salesperson from the shop at which I purchased the DAC....he said he'd be able to come by this week and try to sort out the situation.

Any other ideas aside from bringing my amp to another location (I could probably do that with the shop at which I bought the DAC)??

This situation is really perplexing and annoying....

Matt
Been doing a bit more reading elsewhere......would an "isolation transformer" help in this situation? Is it possible to install one immediately after the wall outlet (i.e., can I plug my power strip into the transformer)? Am I shooting from the hip?
Bad or going bad power supply cap? Would it not do exactly what we hear
here......
Quite a mystery. At this point I can think of only two possibilities, both of which seem very unlikely:

1)The electricians who wired the house when it was built messed up big time, perhaps leaving a safety ground run unconnected, or even reversing the hot and neutral runs, such that all of the outlets you've tried were affected.

2)Or (as Bill/Grannyring suggested) the amp has a bad filter capacitor or other issue, which Coda was negligent in not detecting when you sent it back to them.

Regarding your question about an isolation transformer, I see no reason to expect that to help.

Regards,
-- Al