Speakers to hang on to for LIFE

After 9 years with my Proac Response 3s, I recently decided to change speakers. As you can tell, I'm not an upgrade fever patient. I want something I can live with for years & I think the best advice I'm gonna get will be from those who have & are still living with their speakers for an extended period of time. Please tell me why too. Thanks.Bob.
ryllau
Phusis, I too went through discovering the speed of compression drivers in horns and once came very close to buying a five way compression horn array from GOTO. At the time I had Avantegarde Trios and learned a lesson about an array of horns. Unless you are quite a distance from them, instruments will switch positions at different notes. In short, not having a fifty feet long listening room, I could not enjoy either my Trios or a five compression driver horn system. I have seen pictures of Japanese audiophiles sweeping the dust out of the mouths of their horn speakers with listening chairs only about ten feet in front of them. So apparently some can tolerate this, but not me.

I have had single driver horn systems, full range electrostats, line arrays of ribbons and dynamic tweeters and midrange drivers, horns with and without compression drivers, and many dynamic driver systems. What I think is needed is the counterpart to a microphone, namely a point source capable of 110 db peaks and flat from 20 to 100,000 Hz. I know of no such device.
Tbg --

What I think is needed is the counterpart to a microphone, namely a point source capable of 110 db peaks and flat from 20 to 100,000 Hz. I know of no such device.

Indeed no small measure to pursue. I can very much attest to this demand, ultimately speaking, but have come to live in a satisfying manner with less. I much prefer a point source (or two pr. channel) over a line source, though my experience with single point source units is too limited to form any conclusion. Where I have heard them they've lead to compromises too severe to warrant a purchase over a 2-way system, but there are alternatives still to be sought out - the BMS 15CN682 being one of them (http://bmsspeakers.com/index.php?id=bms_15cn682). Where the cross-over frequency is around 1kHz in a 2-way system, give or take, I find the outcome can be made to ensure a very capable performance with more pro's than con's. A pair of subs can accommodate the need for the last octave while providing positive influence upwards as well; though demanding to integrate the subs properly, it's certainly possible with some effort. SPL is no issue without banging ones head against the distortion ceiling, and I'd wager frequency extension upwards is less important than the impact of thoroughly implemented sub-terrain performance. Of course, all of the above is relative to my own performance needs, and is not supposed in any way to be seen as a "lecture" delivered in your direction.

With regard to a proper listening distance with horn/waveguide speakers I suppose it's dependent on the different incarnations and their implementation (2-way or more). My own 12" OSWG waveguide-based speakers have no problems integrating at a listening distance under 10 feet, though I suppose 10-12 feet distance (or slightly more) could be preferable. Unfortunately my listening room doesn't allow for experimentation much over 10 feet.
I love the posts from people that have been speaker swapping for decades but are still positive that the speakers they just bought ARE HERE FOR LIFE!!!! Lmao!
I must admit that some twenty-five speakers ago, when I bought Infinity ServoStatics, I was set for life, or at least that I was satisfied. These were speakers that need frequent repair of the midrange driver, but if was the appeal of the ServoStatic 1As that brought me to sell the 1s. There really is no such thing for an audiophile of one last speaker system, but if you get old it does happen. I own two systems now and one of them is no doubt the last.
After a thought I second Joeyboynj... :). Rel B2 is an outstanding sub. Integrates extremely with mains, very versatile, not to mention the bass itself and spatial info it adds to the soundstage.