Starter Turntable

I am a total newbie to turntable. I never owned a record in my life and I was actually told not to get into it by a local retailer because of the cost. But I have read that analog is the best, so I want to see what the hype is all about.

So I am in the market of a starter turntable. I want one that is low cost since I don't know what I am getting into so I don't want to invest too much money. So cheaper the better for now. I would also like one that is simple, since I have no idea clue to what a good arm and cartridge should be like. Lastly a used one would probably work best since I can get a better value out of it.

Also since I don't own any records, what will be a good one to start with? I enjoy all type of music, but I like rock, jazz, and classical the most. No country please, I hate country music.

Lastly what should I lookout for when buying used records beside the obvious?

Thanks
JL
f155mph
music hall,whichever model you can afford. also buy a vacuum record cleaning machine.
I guess I will jump in on this one. Not that I have much turntable knowledge, but I enjoy my very modest system.

There are several inexpensive TT's listed here on Agon from time to time that would give you a good idea if analog is the direction you want to go. I would think a Rega 3 with RB250 or 300 arm would give you a good idea and if you decide you don't want to go further, you should be able to get your money back without a problem.

I say go for it. If you like jazz, you can pick up OJC reissues for very little ($5-$10) and they seem to be very good. Most classic rock can be had for $1-$2 and classical even less.

Give it a try and let your ears decide.
I am also considering getting a Turntable, my short list is:

Pro-ject RPM6SB
Clearaudio Champion (just basic model, no Mark I or II).

Which one is better overall?

Thanks.
The Rega P25 is the best jump into it about $1150 with good cartridge. Plus, there are many worthwhile tweaks for it.
I tnink you will love analogue ! For a TT I'd recommend
a used classic Thorens as they are excellent TT's and can be tweaked to provide great sound easily.
I wouldn't buy a new TT particularly an expensive new TT
as there are enough variations that it's a virtual certainty that if you really get into this stuff, you'll end up wishing you had bought a different TT/arm.
The only apect of analogue that I'd recommend spending serious money right away is a good phono stage as that aspect provides serious performance differences for the $
spend some time perusing the vinyl section of the audio asylum just about anything you'll need to know about analogue gear is there.
Regards Fredj