Starting a high-end audio shop... Am I crazy?

In my mid 40's reaching that mid-life crisis, which is not a myth. Many of my friends are leaving good jobs to start all kinds of wacky businesses. I am actually thinking of giving up a $120,000 yr job and starting a high-end audio retail biz - both online and hopefully later on a brick & mortar store. Have 20 years experience in sales and marketing, and/or design of software, electronics, multimedia, video and financial products including a few years in music retail and production.

Who can share their experience, or advice? Is the markup, distribution, etc of high end electronics similar to that of regular electronics? Any sources of info or pointers, tips, horror stories etc are appreciated.
gdoodle
As someone that started a business when I was 36, although not a high end audio, this thread struck a cord. You have to have a few things to be able to make any startup work. First, you have to either be single or have a partner that completely believes in you. This is more important than anything else in my opinion. The amount of time you will spend on this will be more than your current job. Second, you need to have almost zero debt outside of your mortgage. If you have two car payments, credit cards, student loans and various other debts, you have almost no chance of making this work. A change of lifestyle will be in order. I went from going our to dinner three times a week to about three times a year. Third, you must like and be willing to work 14 hours a day, six or seven days a week for years and not become exausted. The amount of work to get things going is at times overwhelming so be prepared. And then fourth, you must have a passion for the work you are doing. There will be days that you just can't believe you left a great job for what you are doing, and there will be days you can't believe anyone would pay you for what you are doing. Good luck with your endevor.

Keep day job, start business on Internet first. Learn tricks of trade, establish contacts with manufacturers, test the Internet with good marketing to see what will be the reaction to your new business.
If the reaction is good, quit your job. After 2 years establishing income on the internet, take another look into opening a retail location. Better still, build a dedicated room and work from home to keep your overhead lower.
To answer your question - yes you are, if you do what you are suggesting.

Listen to Elizabeth and Bryanhod, then use all the time you will save by not doing this to enjoy your music, your family, your friends, and whatever else you do to relax and have fun. The fantasy will not be worth your savings and your sanity.

If you have to try something new, think about something different you can do within your field of expertise that would be challenging and exciting for you. Good luck.
As a previous owner of a failed "passion" business, I would advise against it. The passion gets dilluted and the financial reality hits hard. Then again, if I hadn't tried I might always have wondered what might have been. And if I had succeeded, I certainly would have no regrets.
I have seen a number of High-End audio shops 'open-struggle-fail'. These were good people trying to serve the public with a great passion for the business. Keep your job and be thankful that you have the means to enjoy your hobby and know where your next meal is coming from!