step up transformer for clearaudio

I have a clearaudio concerto cart with a balance phono stage. It is a dedicated mc only phono stage. Is it safe for me to use a step up transformer without overloading the phono stage? I have tried the ortofon verto with great results but i dont want to continue using it unless im sure it is safe from overloading.
csr827
Dertonarm,

I agree with practically everything you have stated. Particularly, I agree with your implication that it is not the particular technology that matters so much as developing the right synergy.

On paper (meaning conventional measurement), I don't know if even the best SUTs will ever measure as well as solid state, but, to me, that hardly matters. I have heard plenty of setups with SUTs that sound terrific. My own phonostage uses a SUT at the front end, so I certainly have no issue with SUTs.
Im using a peerless 4722 with my stradivari which mathematically should overload the preamp input but with the tube pre's Ive tried it with it works great and sounds great. I have found that it overloads all the SS units Ive tried it with though.
Dear Dietrich: You and me knows exactly the differences between those gain approaches.
I don't want to talk about advantages or disadvantages on either. Like you I'm using what I think give me a neutral and accurate response that can/could put me near to the recording.

A controversy between different aproaches ( I'm just tired about ) is a endless one and like you like to say: useless.

Problem is that many people has poor know-how on the subject and poor know-how on music-sound reproduction. You know that every single " War " happened because " ignorance " subjects. You know too that there is no worst " deaf " that the one that does not want to hear. I never stop to learn and like to " hear " from you or any one else but sometimes like I posted: I'm just tired to go on in controversies.

regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.