TAD Reference loudspeakers-How good are they?

Just wondering if the TAD Ref 1 and/or TAD Compact Ref 1 are as good as some of the show reviews suggest, although a recent review did mention a slightly "dark" presentation, albeit state of the art sound.

Does anyone know if the implementation of concentric tweeter/mid is superior to that of KEF/Thiel, or perhaps the Berylium constructed drivers and/or crossover sophistication.

I'm thinking about the TAD Compact Ref One as my "final" loudspeaker, as I have a small listening room at 14 x 16; Quite expensive at MSRP of $37K. I would appreciate any and all opinions and experience with the TAD Reference loudspeakers.

Thanks so much!
opinions
audiobrian
If TAD is the best. Sirspeedy will buy them soon and report to the audiophile community with a wonderful report.He can demo them with his wonderful record collection!!
I heard the original TAD 1 one several occasions and really liked certain aspects of its sound. It is VERY fast and dynamic and unmuddled in a way that VERY few conventional speakers can hope to match (similar in that respect to good horn systems). Most conventional systems sound lifeless by comparison.

The downside was that the speaker sounded quite hard and metallic. I did not listen long enough to determine if that property would, in the long run, lead to a major annoyance. At one show, I heard them with Dr. Edgar (Edgarhorns) in attendance. We chatted briefly and we both agreed on the pluses and minuses of the speaker. He said that he has done quite a bit of experimentation with Beryllium drivers from TAD because he likes the speed and dynamic qualities of the drivers, but, he could never tame the metallic sound.

Overall, a VERY promising design. In some respects, the sound reminds me of some of the better designs using the Manger driver (like the Overkill Audio designs).

I am surprised that the current version is considered "dark," by some listeners, unless the designer went back to the drawing board to tame its more aggressive, forward presentation. If that is the case, it would be inevitable that some of the liveliness would also be lost; such is the case with all speaker designs, tradeoffs are always involved.
I think the downside is that sometimes it was reminding me of an old-school JBL. I mean, I felt that some microdynamics and transparency were missing, or maybe the "essence" if you like of the music. I may be wrong, it just gave me this impression a few times. But overall I can say I enjoyed the way it made music!

Happy Listening,

Mike
Firstly,to address the "moronic" statements from EBM about me(an ex/long time friend) with regard to my system and LP collection."Like you actually know what I am doing these days".

I have been active in the hobby for over 40 years,so my insights are certainly worth a mention at least.I never stated my thoughts are written in stone,but I've been around the audio block a few times.

I sold my system and LP collection 18 months ago,to fund the economic downturn because I would "not" cut my employees salaries,and additionally funded my daughter's upcoming wedding.It had to be done,and I don't have to answer to anyone,because I have the sense to "know the right thing to do".

Btw,I helped set up and voice EBM's systems for years,until selfish reasons came between us(not on my part)...for the record.Some folks have no problem trashing a 45 year friendship,rather than being inconvenienced,so I'd not be surprised by "any" dumb illiterate responses coming my way from him.I guess it's called "shallow".......Whatever!

I "apologize to other forum members" for this,as we are talking about the TAD designs,which I know well,but wanted to put things in perspective....Sorry!....Anyway....

I am "re-buying" a part of my previous LP collection in the near furure(the part that I wanted the most,from a decent, unselfish fellow hobbyist)and am actively planning my new system,as I am moving relatively soon.Most likely the Kharma 3.2 Fe powered by the Dehavilland 50A(an incredible amp,btw)and CAT amp/pre,with a VPI HRX....All new fwiw...Not bad,but also very different from the TAD,and what "it" would like to see downstream,electronics wise....

The TAD(which I LOVE) requires some big-ish power,but if carefully "voiced"(I'm thinking PASS amplification and I've heard that combo a few times)can/will be superlative by any standard!If properly and considerately driven we are talking of the kind of speaker that musicians call a "keeper"(regarding their axe of preferrence for life).

Berrylium drivers are incredibly sensitive to virtually anything below,in the chain,and have huge advantages to other materials.Diamond drivers included!
I'd assume anyone "lucky enough" to get these TAD small-ish monitors will be savvy and give the design the right component matching.I'd consider them if I had the extra cashola to splurge a little more on the amp front(I like the PASS 200 class A's),but my budget(though far from small)is tapped out as I am buying everything from scratch.

My past? Well,I had come from a somewhat similar type of sound,with a lovely dynamic solid state set up driving Avalons,so a change is not so bad,right now.I just want to do something a little different this time around,and really get a kick out of tube rolling...Just me!I'd been blown away by a "properly driven" Kharma 3.2 set-up in the past,using my own LP's and CD's.I would like to get close to "that"!....That is the sound I currently want,but I'd sure be thrilled with a TAD oriented system.

I like inner detail,and soundstaging.The TAD should do this in spades,and more dynamically than my choice of the little(but superb Kharmas).....Yet,it is best served with a great,sweet/powerful SS amp,IMO.....Been there,but sometimes a change is good for the soul!

I will be most happy to trade anyone my Kharmas when they finally come to fruition,for their TAD monitors,if they are displeased with them -:)

I doubt that will happen.

Best to all.....almost.