Thorens TD 160 or 126? Which better?

Hi All-
Ok, so a friend's family is doing a house clearance-and there are a couple of tables up for grabs-
Choice of a Thorens TD 160 or TD 126..Not sure if Mk1 2 or 3 though.
The 126 might have a Stanton cartridge as i recall... I have to verify they are in working order, but assuming both operate, what is the better deck?
I already have a nice table (but modern) and am intrigued if a Thorens would be a good back up...Which one to go for!!!?
Also a NAD 3120 available too..(I have a 320 BEE right now)
Thanks
R
128x128britishmuzik
If all it says in front is "TD 160" and looks like this -

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/102551/1035104.aspx

then it is a Mk1 and is good news as this was the best TD160 variant. (Aside from the Super)
Nothing complex about the TD160 mk1, all you need to do is a little digging on the net about how to check things over. Try here for starters -

http://www.theanalogdept.com/thorens_dept_.htm

The TD126 though is a mechanical and electrical rats nest of parts. More trouble than its worth really. imo

The 160mk1 can be modded to go head to head with new entry level hi end tables (rega, Music Hall, Project ect.) but needs some work first (better plinth and bottom, dampening, ect). Not too mention a new arm..
If you need to repair the Thorens than you have the wrong
one. The TD 160 mkI may be cheaper than repair cost. I agree with Jeremy reg. his qualification 'entry level hi end' for 160 mkI. But by the TD 160 Super one can live the word 'entry' out. Assuming ,say, Rega 300 included. No idea about US prices but in Europe one can get both together for 400-500 Euro.

Regards,
Awesome stuff guys-And thanks a bunch for the links to pics and further information-greatly appreciated too-
Sounds like the 160 is the fave -and I am all for simplicity too!!
Cheers
R
The Rega 300 is a completely inappropriate arm both sonically and mechanically for the 150/160 Thorens series and Linn LP12, IMHO. Better choices are the Linn arms, SMElll, Grace 707/747, Black Widow, Mayware, Hadcock and ADCs.