thoughts on NAD M3

Hi All,

The professional reviews on the NAD M3 are mostly positive.However, I find that the user opinions (from various forums) are not as positive. Any thoughts?
volvosound
I listened to the M3 along with some other int. in that price range and it was tempted to buy one however in the end I spent a little more and got a McCormack amp and pre. If I bought ann int. amp it probably would have been the M3. One of the reasons I passed is that it's made in China. Before you all jump all over me for saying that please know that it doesn't FEEL or sound cheap, I just felt that if I'm going to spend 3 or 4 k it was going to be made in the USA. Regardless of where it's made it's a very nice amp.
In my system (Gallo Ref 3 speakers and a VSE level 4 Sony DVP-9000ES), I've had a PS Audio GCC-250, a Sim Audio I3, an Underwood Hifi-modded Musical Fidelity A5, and the NAD M3. Of all of them, the NAD M3 was my favorite in most respects, except that I found a certain "closed-in" quality on the top-end and occasional rhythmic sluggishness that I just couldn't get over. I tried swapping in better jumpers, using power conditioning (an Audience AR1p), but I just couldn't get those qualities to go away, particularly the closed-in top end (an issue which I believe a few forum members have also commented on).

I ended up going with the MF A5, which has a more extended top end and better channel separation, but does not have the same palpable immediacy that the M3 had, nor its seemingly endless bass reserves. Despite the posted power ratings, the M3 struck me as being a much more powerful amplifier than the A5, and if it hadn't been for those deal-breaking quirks (which may well have been entirely unique to my system), I would have kept the M3. Either way, I definitely preferred both the M3 and the A5 to the PS Audio unit or the Sim I3.
Great amp for the money. Use it to drive some passive ATC speakers in a pro studio environment. Really wonderful soundstage, low noise, neutral mids, and solid bass.
I have been sooo tempted to try one of these, pricing is very compelling for a well cared for unit. I've never really heard anything terribly negative about the M3.
I had the M3 and it like all others performs better when it synergizes with your other gear. It was as stated reticent in the treble, a bit closed in and a bit slow in my setup. This took away from the excitement of the music it produced. I have to assume it would perform better in other setups. I sold mine. Even the bass in my setup was not what I feel it should have been. The less than sparkling highs seem to be a common thread with this piece. Beautiful integrated however.