To buy or not to buy Audiolab 8000C

Hello there. I'm in such a dilemma. There's a unit of Audiolab 8000C preamplifier I've been given to try out for a couple of weeks. I find the preamp pretty neutral by my standards. I have been hooking up my CD player direct to my volume adjustible power amp direct, hence clarity, is nothing new to me. Even the CD player has electronic volume control but I find it troublesome as it's set to max every time I turn it on and I have to bring it down manually.

With a preamp, the volume is easily set to comfort levels before turning them on.

Problem is, my budget is limited. And the seller admited that he has changed the toraidal transformer in the audiolab 8000C recently. I always belived that electronic components have a limited life span. When one component goes, does it always mean others are going soon? Would I be buying a dying old woman whom I cant have children with? I suppose I could ask for a bargain, seeing that even the mostly used RCA jacks at rear panel are slightly shaky (not sure if they can be adjusted) and may allow the interconnects to contact each other. But a local shop once offered me a preamp with remote priced 50% higher than what this guy is offering and that one is new. This is used and has no remote. Two uncertainty on the new unit - brand and sound quality. With a remote, yes, the thing about convenience is rated higher but sound may be in question. Planning to go the the shop to audition but thought perhaps I could first get some insight on the worthiness of buying a used preamp aged nearly 10 years.

Any advice appreciated.

SJ
dewitgoh0df4
Thanks Ryder for your reference on price. To begin with, I'd probably ask for USD184. USD197 would be my highest offer. Since a new preamp is about double that, I will get the comfort that it's absolutely new with zero miles on it. Also, there's another option I am considering... a high grade passive preamp. The DIY store had introduced me Stevens and Billington passive attenuators. These arent cheap as well plus they're very simple. Then again, the rule of thumb here is simplicity for better sound quality. The setback is the casing, which they said would be a simple small box. If the attenuators can be fix in a "normal" casing like that of the audiolab 8000C, by God, it'd be more appealing asthetically. Will ask them if that can be arranged.

The seller of the audiolab says the toraidal is original but I cannot verify that unless I bring it to the DIY shop, which I may since I could also ask about their products. One of the wires that comes with the replacement toraidal is of different color from the blown one. But could it be that the transformer manufacturer changed the color of the wire over the years?
If your CD player was happy driving the power amp directly then a passive preamp could work very well for you.

There are various passive preamp kits available, or you could buy one from Creek.
Hi Sean, good thing you brought up the cd output. It would have slipped my mind.

My initial setup was pretty satisfying. With my poweramp set to a notch before hitting mid level (visually balanced) for both channels' volume knobs, I had to turn down the CD player from volume 20 to around 3 or 6 (with remote) for soft recordings. That's the pain... my wife would accidentally move the power amp's left and right volume knobs and set it high that even with CD at lowest volume, it would be screaming loud. Happened once... and boy was I scared... so worried about the tweeters as I rushed to complete my evening shower (she cant hear "my screams" from the bathroom)! If it wasnt the main door being opened as always, I would have dashed out naked with bubbles all over just to turn down the left channel... : P

Anyway, after adding the Audiolab 8000C, the power amp is now set at max on both channels... for a more "balanced" loudness but volume knob of the preamp only needs a tiny turn clockwise from minimum (probably 1/12 of the max turn) for a decently loud playback. I find it pretty dangerous, frankly as, if she does the same mistake again on the preamp, boy history would repeat, this time even worse. So, yes, I think the signal from the Marantz 4000 is high enough for the 80 Watt/Ch amp. And a passive should work pretty well in that sense.
AudioLab (Tag McClaren) no longer exists in Audio Circles. I would suggest buying a used piece from a manufacturer who still exists.
Gogamecocks ... the audiolabs are simple elegant designs using off-the-shelf parts. I see no reason that one of their amplifiers can't be kept functioning almost indefinitely. However, in the case of the poster I think a passive pre would be better.

On the other hand Sony will be in business in 10 years time, but I predict that that will be of no use to me at all if my TV packs in.