Triode versus Ultralinear/Pentode

Does triode always sound better than ultralinear/pentode in circuits and parts of similar quality? I'm not really interested in SETs, but triode wiring of EL34/6550 etc. I have a CAT JL2 wired which has 6550s connected in triode and is the best amp I have ever heard in my system. I also have a Music Reference RM9 MKII with EL34s connected in ultralinear and am considering having them rewired for triode operation as I assume that is one of the reasons the CAT sound so good (those transformers may also have something to do with it). Thanks.
pubul57
No. With my Mesa Baron, Triode is preferred for acoustic and smaller scale music, but adding some pentode helps a great deal with rock, orchestral, some jazz, piano and even solo guitar sometimes. and it solidifies imaging a bit. I suspect it's as we've always heard: it's all in the implementation. Unless you listen only to chamber music, there are times when pure triode is subobtimal.
Lloydc, your amplifier might be a good example of what I meant- that even though there is some advantage of the 'triode mode', that mode is not optimized in the amplifier in order to allow for the switching in the first place. Were it optimized, there would be no trade-offs in sonic performance, only power.
So I take it that if I were to convert the Music Reference to triode it should be triode only, optimized for triode, and not a triode/ultralinear via switch approach.
What does Roger Majeski say about the potential result of the conversion? Benefits v liabilities? There is always some trade off - what does he think they are with his amp?
I asked that question on AudioCircle in the Manufacturer's forum and still have not gotten an answer. To some exent I hesitate with the idea of the mod (he did not object to the idea), thinking if it was such a good idea, why didn't he do so from the begining - could be the amp has more universal application run in AB2 Ultralinear. I know by going to triode, he pull back on the NFB which appears to always be a good thing with my Merlins. I agree in principle (with no engineeering knowledge whatsoever) that it is best to have a unit optimized for one type of operation or the other - the logic of that makes sense to me.