TRL Marantz Sa-14

After speaking to Paul at TRL I am very curious to hear from those who own this unit what improvements do you hear with the player before and after the mod.

The SA-14 sounds weak in the bass and has no dynamics in comparison to some players like the Sony Scd-1 in stock form. Has anyone compared the TRL Sa-14 to the Sony Scd-1?
la45
dracule1

Sorry if it appears that I am being secretive with this Preamp. The preamp is an overachiever and the problem with this is since its new to me in my system I can't be too specific until the TRL is broken in. The surprise here is the presentation is almost magical inspite of the TRL Sony having only 47 hours playing time.

I am trying to stay away from proclaiming this as a godsend. The truth is the Full Image preamp is doing something that is hard to describe hence my balloon analogy. It adds an inviting 'character' to the instruments and the sound is wonderful. I just feel so much of the rythm and pace of each piano key strike that its beyond what I have heard up to this point. Very involving stuff.

To put it another way, I was considering upgrading to the TRL SA-14. Now I don't feel the need to do this because of this preamp. If you have been around this hobby for awhile you can spot when a product does something special and this absolutely fits this category.

The designer is offering it direct and plans to keep it that way. So if you are interested send me an email and I can give more info. Its just not appropriate here.

I promise to have more information for you but for now what a pleasant surprise.
Glad you are pleased with the TRL 2000ES even if it isn't even broken in yet! It can only get better. I've had magic in my system without necessarily spending a fortune on digital. Admittedly using a Cary 303 as a transport (for which it is truly excellent), my 2 dacs (Mensa DI/O, Scott Nixon Tube Dac, each well under $1k) excelled with different types of music and allowed me to get totally lost in the music and forget all about analyzing the sound.

I am using a Joule Electra tube pre, which is known to be musical. Frankly, based on my comparison with the Eastern Electric Minimax, I think that the Joule gives up a bit of detail in exchange for musicality.

It seems like TRL is all about musicality, as this is a common comment about all their modded players. I'm looking forward to getting my SA14 from AVGuru to TRL then on to me in the next couple of weeks so that I can hear for myself what a TRL player sounds like.
Just got the SA-14. The machine is very heavy and sturdy in its construction. I have a disc in on repeat play. I'll leave it that way for the rest of the week, before I listen to it. That will put it at around 100 hours of break in.

As I opened the box, I, ONCE AGAIN, realized that Paul at TRL, REALLY does it right!

pt
Oldpet

What do you mean "really does it right". Are you referring to the neatness of the mods? I looked at the inside of my 2000es and I was a bit disappointed. I don't think about it anymore since I am in heaven with the sound. Now I believe the stuff he uses all over the board must be called "magic stuff".
La45

I haven't looked inside of my unit yet. I'm just trying to get hours on it first, so it just sits spinning a disc 24/7 for now.

I'm really refering to the way Paul treats his customers. From his communication, his punctual turn around of the unit, his desire to make a beautiful sounding machine, his ability to NOT overstate his work. He even included small, but thoughtful, things in the box with the unit.
As I've said, I still have not listened to the machine, but Paul runs a first class operation. He actually delayed the shipment of my unit for a couple of days, so, "his guys" (three I believe) could evaluate the machine and make notes about it.

I haven't even mentioned the fact that his mods are very affordable. When compared to some of the other mods out there, TRL mods are a real bargain.

Since you are already listening to a TRL modded machine, I'm sure you can attest to the "bang for the buck" factor.

I just hope my ears agree. :-)