TRL Marantz Sa-14

After speaking to Paul at TRL I am very curious to hear from those who own this unit what improvements do you hear with the player before and after the mod.

The SA-14 sounds weak in the bass and has no dynamics in comparison to some players like the Sony Scd-1 in stock form. Has anyone compared the TRL Sa-14 to the Sony Scd-1?
la45
To all:

Just to clarify things a bit so folks are not alarmed-the car accident mentioned above involved only one TRL staffer-Brian Weitzel. He runs the Record Research Labs (LP cleaners, Shine OLA) part of of the business in addition to partnering with Paul on their amps, recording, and digital, medical, and IT work, and is overseeing the rollout of the new solid state ST -225 integrated amp. (Yes, they are very excited about it and yes they usually are pretty conservative about praise).

Anyway, Brian was involved in a single car accident coming home late on the Interstate from work one evening last month. No other TRL staff were present. He works a lot of hours in the TRL/RRL business and also has been diagnosed with sleep apnea. He dozed off briefly at the wheel and crashed. Thankfully and through the grace of God he survived with some significant, but not life threatening injuries. Thankfully also, no one else was involved in the crash and no one else was hurt. Brian was back to work after a couple weeks and is taking it a bit easier right now as he recovers.

That didn't stop him from lifting 30 cases on an order of the RRL LP cleaner to get out to FEDEX two weeks ago. He reaggravated his rib injuries that day. I told him that is what big brothers like Paul are for-to do the heavy lifting some times!

We all thank God Brian is recovering and it no doubt reaffirmed his strong faith that someone upstairs is looking out after him.

Oldpet-

Yeah. Lets start a new thread indeed. This has been so much fun. For anyone interested I have improved the 2000es TRL Sony by adding and reinforcing the transport mehanism. If you take a close look you will see the type of material used for the structure.

I am indeed enjoying my Sony TRL 2000es and it has more to go. Until I complete this hairbrain project I will reserve comment on how much the additional support helps the transport at a later time. For now my system is down as my tube amp has stopped working....bummer.
All: Yeah, Brian got banged up pretty badly. Considering he drove in the median and his car traveled downward and landed on a lower highway, I can't believe he survived. Someone up there is watching out for him ... I'm happy that he is okay.

Oldpet: Have you got your SA-14 back yet? I very interested in your first impressions.

Cousin (La45): I hate to sound like a "broken record", but have you found the source to the anti-static sheets? I realize it is nearly impossible to source, just hoping that you have lucked out ...

All: My SA-14 is sounding incredible. I am embarrassed to say how much better it is now ... I'm very happy. (I'm only 1/2 of the way to fully broken in, so it keeps getting better. You TRL mod owners know what I'm saying).

Jack

Jes45

I'm expecting the Sa-14 back on the 13th. Brian emailed me to give me the good news/bad news scenario. :-)

Bad news: Another 500 hours before break in.

Good news: The SA-14 ALREADY sounds better than it did when when it got to TRL in it's previously modded, fully broken in state!

Needless to say, I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival back home! :-D