TRL Marantz Sa-14

After speaking to Paul at TRL I am very curious to hear from those who own this unit what improvements do you hear with the player before and after the mod.

The SA-14 sounds weak in the bass and has no dynamics in comparison to some players like the Sony Scd-1 in stock form. Has anyone compared the TRL Sa-14 to the Sony Scd-1?
la45
Hi Bob

I've never heard the APL, and probably never will. Can't justify the 5K for the player. A used SA-14 sells for around $1100. Add the $550 for the TRL Mod, and you've got yourself one fine sounding player. Take your left over $3350 and go on a short cruise. :-)

Or - If you're really obsessing - you could probably get a used Exemplar 3910, with the left over money, do a side by side comparison with the TRL, and sell the one you like least.

BTW - My TRL Sa-14 is not for sale. Unless you make me an offer I can't refuse. ;-)

I don't think you'd be dissapointed with the TRL SA-14

good luck

paul
Baranyi, tell us where you live. Perhaps there's an owner of one of these players who'd be willing to host a listening session. Most APL owners are happy to do this.

Baranyi -

Call or email Paul at TRL. He has had representative units of almost all of the modded machines of those you are considering come through the TRL shop for work and has likely worked on all of the stock units these modders use also. They have done something like 600+ mods in the past year so have seen a lot of gear versus just a few certain units.

If anything, you will get more information to assist in your decision. He is very honest and helpful and will not push any product at all.

It also might be helpful if you could decribe your ideal sound character and maybe folks could comment if a particular modded unit seems to meet those criteria.

Also, if you are dying to hear a TRL Marantz SA14 and are not a serial killer (just kidding) we can work something out. I live three hours west of the city in the Quad Cities.
After following this post for several months I finally found the unit I wanted (SA-14 v2) and am having it shipped to TRL. I look forward to reporting my findings.
Baranyi: Have you had the opportunity to hear any of the modified players in your area?

If so, which ones?

Best,

Jack Seaton