Trying to get in to vinyl, turntable suggestions?

Hello All,

After hearing some great analog setups I've got the itch. My Integra dtc 9.8 does have a phono input, but I plan to get a phono stage down the road, that I could connect to my Anthem Pre 2l SE.

In the meantime, any suggestions to get me started...I'm looking for a good turntable that could benefit down the road from upgrades as I get more money.

I'm hoping to spend less than 500 for the TT, and then willing to purchase a cartridge seperately if I have to.

I've read good things about thorens and the nad 533. What about the technics sl-1200? I'm looking to buy used for now.

I listen to a lot of Dave Matthews Band, Pink Floyd, some Paul Simon..Jack Johnson..

Any thoughts?
I've linked my system below hopefully did it right..

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vevol&1240167743&view
burnsy1
i would think pretty hard about adding a turntable. if you already have a collection, it would make sense...if you're starting from 'record one', it may not.
Part of what has me interested in going Vinyl is what I think would be "the journey" involved with it.

It looks like there is a lot of tweaking and upgrading that can be done to get changes in the sound here and there. I've also really liked the sound out of my anthem tube pre 2lse. I don't mind struggling to find the vinyl...I'm thinking it would be a fun hobby.

@Learsfool, interesting about the technics...it definitely does seem to be popular with dj's..but part of what has\had me interested in it is that it seems there is so much in terms of changes and upgrades that can be done with it.

I do have to admit...that I prefer the look of the rega versus the technics...does the rega offer the same potential for upgradeability?
You want to have fun with vinyl, build your own turntable. I've been tinkering with my own build for a several months now. This thread should get you started.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1157059532

Otherwise Jaybo imparts some good advice. Sometimes having "fun" with vinyl turns into a money pit rather easily. If you're inclined to still move ahead I might recommend one of the Bang & Olufsen linear tracking tables. I have two of them and they sport a combination of solid design, great looks, simplicity of use (especially set-up), and good sound. In comparison to some other more expensive (>$3000) tables I've owned the B&O's I have hold their own.
In my limited experience I have used the Rega P-1 and P-2, the Music Hall 2.1 and currently a VPI HW/Audioquest PT-9 and had the most fun with the Technics. What I have found is that the Technics holds the platter speed better than the others and nothing will make a record sound off more than the rpm's being off. The other belt drive tables sound good with slower jazz and orchestral music, deeper soundstage, more dynamic even, but put on a piece of complicated music and I can hear the stylus drag and the speed warble. Nothing sounds worse to me. If you were in the $1500- range and could get a speed control that handled these problems i would agree with Learsfool, the belt drive are wonderful, but at this price point those tables seem out of pitch and to warble constantly, a problem you will never have with Technics DD. This is just my own experience with these tables and others with far more experience than I will find the entry level belt drive to be superior.
I have a VPI -19 MK.2+ that I can let you have within your budget. Email me at mscevw@aol.com.