TTW MOMENTUS MOMENTUS "The MONSTER" Rim Drive

I must say interesting indeed - anyone happen to have one or had a listen? Any initial impressions

Some specs ...

- 99.999% pure Copper platter weighs in at 88Lbs 40 Kg's

- Total weight of the whole table tipping the scales of 200-220Lbs

- Bearing Shaft is Pure Micro Grain Carbide .5 inch diameter x 1.5 inches deep

- DC Servo Direct Rim Drive Super Torque with 24,000 pulse drive control (each revolution counts 24,000 points for accuracy and the MOMENT of inertia combined with the rim drive provides perfect rotational accuracy
dev
Just read the TT description. Most TT manufactures would need to sub contract the multi-axis machining to an outside firm due to the capital cost of said machine. Since TTW’s primary business is manufacturing for the aerospace industry, they are uniquely positioned to do all the machining in-house, therefore, reducing both manufacturing and R&D cost.

Now having access to mega-buck machines and having expertise in high precision machining does not guarantee a good sounding table, but TTW must be applauded for their attempt to raise the bar on state of the art tables at a relative affordable cost. Time will tell if they have succeeded.
TTW has come in for more than a little criticism on this forum, mostly from one or two dissatisfied customers. I am not a customer, but I always thought they deserve a little credit for their "all-out" approach, whether I always agree with their design decisions, or not. (Usually not.) The Momentus does indeed look to be very well built. I am just not a fan of rim drive the way they do it. However, in the Momentus they have isolated the copper platter from the driven part of the platter, which should be good.
There has been more than one dissatisfied customer of TTW, mostly based on lack of speed accuracy.
Given all the models, changes, problems, and updates in their short history, the wise consumer should avoid this company cautiously.