Tube amps that kick ass?

I'd like to find a high powered tube amp that can deliver all the magic that tubes are known for AND that kicks butt. Solid, tight bass with good authority. Dynamic, quick, but handles the little information (micro) sweetly as well. A tube amp that will play rock and roll at realistic volumes – the way rock in roll was meant to be enjoyed - and still sound great.

Any ideas? 10K or under? preferably 5K or so

Thanks for all responses.
128x128keithmundy
By the way Keith, your speakers are not so highly efficient so you will be better off using a good amount of power like 80-100 WPC or so or at lpud volumes a lower power tube amp can clip.

You may also want to look at CAT amps even though VAC is a good choice too. Von Schweikert uses VAC to demo his speakers and the combo kicks butts. Both should be in your price range.
Though I went from VTL 250's to Atma-Sphere MA-1 MkIII's, it wasn't because I thought the VTL's were rolled off or that they had any other serious flaws for that matter. I just decided it was time for a change and wanted to try something different.

Actually, I thoroughly enjoyed the VTL's for over six years, they were trouble free and I could happily go back to them. I'm sure my friend who went from the 450's to the VAC Phi 300.1's would say the same thing.

On the other hand, both the 250's and 450's are outclassed when compared to either the MA-1's or the VAC's as they well should be considering the large price differences.
Thank you all for the great info. I am actively looking and studying my options. I love the passion but let’s all stay cool guys.
I second CAT. The JL2 used will fit your price range.

While I'm partial to CAT, as others have mentioned, VTL, and Atma-Sphere are other great choices.