Tweaks

The latest issue of Absolute Sound has a list of 15 or so tweaks that they say are worth doing. I would like to get some feedback from others about 3 of them.

1. Grounding Caps for unused preamp inputs.
2. Equipment anti-vibration devices such as Vibropods.
3. Aligning interconnects and power cords so that they cross at right angles to each other. (This sounds like a very difficult thing to arrange).
frepec
All three of these tweaks are fairly standard, and well known actually.

Remember though that tweaks are just that, "tweaks", which are minor little adjustments to one's system, that may, or may not, affect the sound of the system. Try'em out and if they work, great. If not, no big deal, as most of these tweaks are relatively cheap to try out anyway.

Tbromgard: Here is a link to some grounding caps:
Music Direct-grounding caps
#1 I tried shorting pins and found no appreciable change. Make sure if you try this, not to insert said pin into an output jack. #2 Vibrapods made some difference but not huge and not always an improvement. Audio points and Still points are the real deal. #3 I would rather listen to Elton John (I dislike his music) than spend the time attempting to have cords intersect at right angles.

Suggestion for #4 Try some GIK panels in your room. They are reasonably priced.
Would really like to see if you can measure any difference for the suggested tweaks.
I have found that those tweaks work if your system is sufficiently resolving enough to hear them. Make your own grounding plugs as sidssp sugests. V-Pads (rubber-cork-rubber pads and available at HVAC suppliers for about $2.50)are MUCH better than Vibrapods and lots cheaper but Still Points and Mapleshade brass footers are even better.

I find it near impossible to get cords at 90 degrees to one another.
For well thought out system suggestions get Jim Smith's book "Get Better Sound" Worth every penny.
http://www.getbettersound.com/
I have found that tweaks can make a very positive difference. Some are more effective than others and it takes some patience and 'trial and error' to get a system sounding it's best. I look at tweaks as if it were a componet in a system. Getting the right combination may cost as much as any other type of upgrade and can be just as significant.

One word of warning is to stay away from products from a company called DakiOm. Some of the products can damage certain componets... and while the effects can be entertaining, they are anything but truthful to the source.