Tweaks

The latest issue of Absolute Sound has a list of 15 or so tweaks that they say are worth doing. I would like to get some feedback from others about 3 of them.

1. Grounding Caps for unused preamp inputs.
2. Equipment anti-vibration devices such as Vibropods.
3. Aligning interconnects and power cords so that they cross at right angles to each other. (This sounds like a very difficult thing to arrange).
frepec
Magfan, the whitepaper concerns electrotstriction and electrically-induced thermal expansion effects in monolithic silicon. In the experiment a tiny cantilever attached perpendicularly to a monolithic chip vibrated in various fundamentals and overtones, depending on the shape of the cantilever. The purpose of the resonister(unrelated to our discussion here) was to harness this electrically-induced mechanical energy. But for the purposes of discussion, the experiment proves that monolithics do vibrate from within--and thus propagate microphonics.

Now as to the benefit of applying an "anti-resonance" coating to the top of a silicon chip, I can only suggest that one try Uniko AVM as I did and assess the results. This mystery product is rumored to contain iridium, but as it is also represented as non-conductive when dry, perhaps the attribution is disingenious. In any case after applying it variously to clock oscillator, DAC, and numerous VLSI chips in the transport section, I heard what I heard: a substantial improvement in resolution, pitch & timbre, spatiality, and elimination of the last trace of synthetic "digital" sound that afflicts even a top CDP. One of the best (and simplest) tweaks that I've encountered.
Dg,
I hate to be thick, but could you please provide a link to the article? I did a quick google for 'resonister' and came up with 1 reference which was apparently some patent application.

I will certainly read any link you provide, until it gets religious.

I have an idea I'd like to try, from my readings of SETI amplifiers. Where the SNR is Astronomical, (literally!) the signal needs major amplification. The amplifiers run in a bath of Liquid Helium. All molecular (nearly) is damped out since they are running at 10k or so (degrees Kelvin). This should also damp out most resonance / vibration and keep piezo effects to a minimum.

Just a thought for some 'weird science'.
Furthermore, could 1000 audiogon customers be wrong?

You're kidding, right?! Yes, most certainly 1000 Audiogon customers could indeed be wrong, Geoff. History has proved over and over that not only thousands, but millions, tens of millions, entire nations can be misled over far more serious choices than an LED geegaw made in China, or colored pebbles in a glass bottle. People are vulnerable in all sorts of ways in all matter of choices. As far as the silly little choices we make here on Audiogon, one need only read some of the input here in various threads and you will quickly learn how varied people's stated preferences are. If you've been at this very long you'll also see with what degree of contrast others stated opinions diverge from your own observations. By all means, make your own choices. I don't pretend to speak for anyone but myself. I made no "observations" or comment on your products other than their resale value on the used market. I've most certainly have poked fun at them in the past. I find them very easy to poke fun at because at face value they occur to most people with conventional reasoning powers to be ridiculous. From your advertisements, you actually seem to have a sense of humor about them...either that, or your elevator ain't making it to the top floor.

Your "observation" that investing in clever little clocks and teleportation tweaks is quite unwarranted as there is a 30 day money back guarantee on both products.

In case I was not clear; my comment was referring directly to buying items used and reselling at minimal or no loss. I have very rarely seen a used Clever Little Clock here on A'gon, which means one of four things to me (one could posit more if one were inclined to contemplate this at length - I am not):

1. The folks who buy them are delighted with the results and are hanging onto them to hand down to their grandchildren. My grandfather only left me a wooden tool chest and his stamp collection.

2. The folks who buy them are less than delighted with their effectiveness as an audio tweak, but like the conversational novelty of having one, and or are in need of a cheap time piece for the bathroom. I'm sure some of them may be wondering why the flushing of the toilet actually sounds better with the clock in place there.

3. The folks who are buying them are taking full advantage of your 30 day warranty and are returning them after trying them out. I'm sure this never happens so we may as well just strike number 3 and forget I ever mentioned it.

4. The folks who are buying them are just too embarrassed that they made the purchase and had allowed the 30-day period to lapse before realizing what they were less than delighted at what they'd paid for.
Of all the tweks, I think isolation devises are the best way to improve sound quality, particularly under source components. I used Vibrapods/cones under my TT. I set them points up on my equipement rack shelf (which is made of glass which I hear is the owrst kind of shelf re resonance)then I placed a sheet of mdf board on top of the pods, and have my TT on top of the mdf. That way I can use the leveling feet of my TT. It makes a differencce isn all areas compared to no Vibrapods/cones. My TT does not have a suspension, so it definately improves the sound quality.

However, pods have a drawback-there is no way to level them. If the pods had screws so you could replace component feet with the pods/cones, and have the ability to level them, it would make a good product better.