Upgrading cartridge used or new?

I am in process to upgrade my analog setup starting from replacing my DV 10x5 with an step up one from DV or other make.
My TT rega P5.

On my journey I had hear mixed things about buying used, a much better cartridge or just pay same amount for a brand new lower end one.

Some dealers said you never know the history of a used cartridge, so you must believe the always magic # from the seller of 100 hours on it, plus vinyls condition that was expose to, etc.

While the new even if lower end is a solid secure step.

I would like to hear your exp about buying cartridges on used market.

As always must appreciate all your time to share your comments.

Regards.
128x128mountainsong
Buying a used cartridge is a lot like buying a used toothbrush! I have purchased two used cartridges in the past. Each was re-tipped quickly.
I have purchased a couple of dozen used cartridges over the years. I have never had one arrive DOA or sound anything but how it should. I have also purchased hi end cartridges with broken cantilevers and had them repaired by soundsmith. Each works extremely well.

Recommendations to only buy new from people who only buy new are useless. Listen to those with experience in the area you are asking about and then decide. I could never afford the cartridges I use if I had bought new.
"01-13-13: Yogiboy
No way! Would you buy used tires for your car? Why take a chance and ruin your vinyl with someones old clunker?"

Some audiophile. I would absolutely buy used tires. You can take the money you save and buy a better cartridge. Better yet, when the tires blow out, you get new shoes. Allows for an even better cartridge.

Some people just talk crazy.
Yogiboy,

Do I have to explain everything to you? You don't buy new shoes, you make them with the blown out tires. Just make sure that the exposed steel belts are facing down and not up so you don't cut your feet.