Vandersteen 2ci: what a pleasant surprise

Like a lot of you out there, I've been buying and selling, trying different stuff here and there. I don't really spend a lot of money on gear,and I almost exclusively buy in the used market. I find a lot of benefits in buying used high end products (lower price being the first obvious reason, and the list goes on). My last "venture" was trying out a pair of Vandersteen 2ci's, they're not even the ce model. I've always wanted to try a pair of Vandys but never got the chance to. It's funny since I've been into this hobby for a good 15 years now, and having gone through a multitude of speakers (Martin Logan, Heybrook - when they were still good, Apogee, Linn, Mirage, Totem, Epos, - when they were still good, Mission, PSB, Magnapan, Sonus Faber, Meadowlark, B&W, Gallo, and probably a few more) I have never owned a pair of Vandys. So much for the intro. I finally bought a used pair here at Audiogon and much to my surprise upon setting them up, they are pretty good. It's one of those things that just gels together I guess. Everything in my system matches very well to the fullest potential of these Vandys (EAD T1000/DSP7000mk3 combo - SFL-1 Signature - Sonographe SA250 with DH labs and Audioquest cabling). I didn't think I would be this much impressed since they are the older model Vandy 2 and I remember listening to a pair of the 2ce's at my brother's house and really wasn't that impressed, but man, I don't know if my 2ci's are just flukes - they trully sing!!! It's a great feeling when you buy something at a great price, not expecting a lot from it then - BANG - it blows you away!! Any other similar experiences anyone care to share out there???
gemini
Actually yeah iver recently had that experience.

After being forced to sell my last rig, i was left with a DBX preamp, Denon-Poa-2800, and get this, Radioshack Optimus speakers.

Those Radioshack speakers will probably blow your mind on how good they sound with a decent amp/pre.

Don't get me wrong, they are in NO WAY giant killers, and they are probably the worst speakers being used by an audiogoner, but they sound way to good for "Radioshack" speakers picked up for 10 bucks at a garage sale. Ive heared alot of Best-Buy speakers in the $300-$400 range that dont hold a candle to these.

They are pretty old-school though. All paper cones, 3 way, 12, 4, and a ribbon tweeter. Volume was calculated using the "Golden Box" formula. Alot of cheaper speakers seem to use some funky material for the cones and seldom have a 12in driver, let alone a ribbon tweeter. Seems like the cheaper speakers now focus more on compactness and edgy looks than basic good design.

As much as they impressed me though, i cant wait to get rid of em. :)
despite their age, they are still very good speakers. it sounds like you have have some serious system synergy going on with your associated gear.

there is a very strong chance you might have a late pair of 2ci's with metal domes ( you can confrim this with richard- the very late models ci's had metal instead of cloth dome tweeters).

i had a similar experience with changing out a pair of speaker cables on the top end of my alon II ( went with cardas neutral) and this is the first time i have absolutley blown away by a minor change.

goes to show that newer is not always better.

good listening,

mike
Two of my best surprises were a Arcam CD92 and Sonographe SA250 amp.These products are simply outstanding,and just put some other awfully expensive stuff to shame.