Von Schweikert VR-1 question

At this point seriously considering getting a pair of VR-1s, but before I do was wondering just how revealing these speakers would be toward my source (Onkyo DC-C540 CD Changer)? To my ears, it's a good sounding player, but I also realize that perhaps the speakers that I'm currently using (Boston Acoustic A-60s) are more forgiving of modest components. I also believe the rest of my system should work well with VR-1s (Jolida 502A, AQ CV-6 w/DBS speaker wire and AQ Diamondback IC), and I certainly hope to upgrade the CDP at some point down the road, but for the time being, the Onkyo is going to be the source. Being that's the case, I would certainly would want speakers that would allow me to enjoy my music with the components that I currently have, knowing well that when I do replace the CDP with a better unit, that I'll be reaping further sonic improvements. So I guess the two questions are, one, would VS VR-1s work well with the components that I currently have? And two, if not, would I be better off looking for a pair of speakers that are a little more "forgiving" (suggestions welcomed) of the source? Please remember that I'm a man of modest means, trying to put together a good sounding, affordable system, one step at a time. Thanks.
cleaneduphippy
I don't know what power the Jolida puts out...I'm using a hybrid integrated 120 watt per side amp and the speakers sound phenominal....if you buy, make sure to get the matching stands and these speakers sound super with the VS1 sub....I have this rig in my second system...the VR1's don't need big power....call dealer Stephen Monte at Quest for Sound, Bristol, Pa....he'll give you a straight answer without trying to sell you anything...super friendly, knowledgeable guy.
VR1's are "high" end in my opinion.
Larry K.
Cleaneduphippy,

I own the VR-1s and, like you, have tubes in my system - I'm running a tube preamp. My VR-1s sound great with all my sources - vinyl, CD, tuner and computer. I think the tubes make all the difference, so my guess is you'll be as pleased as I am. You'll enjoy them now, and enjoy them even more when you upgrade your CDP.

That said, Audiodoc is also correct. Every change you make that increases your resolution also increases the difference between good and bad recordings. Then best news is that on good recordings, you'll hear things you never heard before.

Remember that the VR-1s are considerably smaller than your A-60s, so you may need different stands. Solid stands are important.
I love the VR-1s. They will mate well with the components you have. Mine even sound great in a wall bookshelf! (WAF) They will sound even better properly placed, but are not picky about placement. When they are properly placed you will hear a tall and broad soundscape with pinpoint placement of instruments, a realistic midrange for voices and stringed instruments, and solid bass. I added an REL 108 to the room. With a bigger room, I would recommend the VS-1. A great combo!
Everybody,

Appreciate all your responds. Going to have another listen to the VR-1s with some of my "less than perfect" recording and see how "revealing" these speakers are, and would it be something I could live with (btw, I collect a lot of "live recordings", so a "to revealing speaker" could be an issue). No doubt, these are some excellent speakers, especially for the price, but I want to make sure that they are excellent speaker for me, as I'm the type of person who when they buy audio equipment, has a tendency to keep (and enjoy) them for a long, long time. Once again, thanks to all of you for your comments.
I owned a pair of VR-1s for several months and switched back and forth with a pair of Boston Acoustics A40s (one step down from the A60 in their line at the time) using a Rega Mira integrated to listen to classical music webstreams via a Squeezebox. I found the VR-1s to be too revealing with what is admittedly an inferior source (I never made a comparison between the two speaker models using CDs, LPs or FM) and preferred the A40s. I sold the VR-1s and the A40s as well and replaced them with the Boston Acoustics T930, which has the same tweeter, I believe, as the A40 and A60 but which gives me a better midrange and bass than the A40 did while retaining the generally warm and mildly colored character of the Boston Acoustics sound from that period.