Von Schweikert VR-4,Jr.

Was anyone else as impressed by these speakers at HE 2004 as I was? I thought their performance was stupendous, and can only wonder what the bigger models sound like.
gladstone
Sedona, The computer you are typing on was made in China as well as all the components inside. You still purchased it... I could go on and on about what you have that came from China - so unless you are Omish good luck trying to make a real moral stance.

Quality is a non issue, as these speakers are as solid as any I have owned, if not more so.

So, not sure what them being made in China has to do with it.

The vr4 jr for my taste are better than the totem's in top to bottom, with no wholes they are much better than their price point as stated above.

The Maggies will sound thin in comparison.

At least, give the vr4 jr an audition to avoid later regret if you buy something else.

Good Luck,
Rob
Rob,

Are you sure about the computer Sedona is typing on comes from China? I am a Taiwanese, and I am in semiconductor industry, I don't think China is capable of making the "critical" parts of a computer anytime soon.

Take CPU, it's most likely an Intel or AMD made here in US (Intel) or Germany (AMD). Hard drive is probably one of the Western Digital or Seagate from Singapore. Motherboard and chipset are from Taiwan Via or SIS, graphic card chip is ATI or Nvida which is foundry at TSMC (Taiwan).

You get the point I am sure. I am OK some of the times with China assembly, but I am not OK with China made products for quality and political reasons.

Therefore, I will avoid investing expensive items that are made in China.
Semi: Quite an intelligent reply to Rob, I agree with you, I will not purchase products made in China for both quality and political reasons, mostly political the truth be told.

And frankly, the folks at Von Schweikert can talk all they want about 'how much more their speakers would cost' had they been made in America, or 'the savings are being passed along to the consumer'. I don't believe consumers are gaining any financial benefit by Von Schweikert outsourcing their products to workers in a country that earn $1.00 an hour - probably less. If at all possible, I'll invest my money in products that are made in America.

Just my 2 cents - where others invest their money is their choice.

BTW: I own/use a Mac G-4 computer.

Best Regards
Funny how quickly a thread can digress. I hope we're all driving Fords and Chevys also.
I think all of your responses were very factual and mature (not always the case). I used to work at Cadence Design Systems - One of the top EDA software companies, so you are right about most of the chip designers and foundries not being in China. My point in making my general statement was that not buying Von Schweikert speakers will not make a bit of difference in toppling communism in China. Especially, since we are not all driving Fords and Chevys, and we all have electronic and other items made in China -- It’s unavoidable.

But how can I argue when your hearts are in the right place. That’s really what counts whether it makes much difference or not.