Well Rounded Speakers $2500-$3000?

I live in Memphis TN and really don't have a lot of availability in terms of "high-end" stores to audition speakers.

I've been looking for a pair of speakers in the used $2500-$3000 range such as the Eggleston Fontaine II's, Von Schweikert VR4Jr's, Vienna Acoustic's Beethovens, etc...

I listen primarily to classical and jazz but they also have to be able to pound out some Pink Floyd and Zeppelin. My front end is currently an Audible Illusions M3 pre, Odyssey Khartago mono blocks, pro-ject turn-table, and lexicon sacd player.

Which of the speakers I listed would you choose? Other speaker suggestions or places to audition these speakers in my area are welcome! Thanks for the help guys!
mattybvt42
My current speaker system is:
1 Pr. Ohm 100s @app $1700 (direct from Ohm)
Velodyne SMS-1 subcontroller @app $450 (from AudioAdvisor.com)
1 Pr. Rythmik Audio 12" subs @app $700 X2 (direct from RythmikAudio.com)

Total cost is app $3500 (NEW), and all can be returned if in-home performance proves unsatisfactory to you. In my room, performance has been absolutely terrific. I should add that I use an NHT x-2 ($300, raising the total budget accordingly) as a low cut for my mains because I don't like the low cut in the SMS-1, but you can achieve substantially the same result - and save a fair bit of money - by ordering the satellite version of the 100s from Ohm. These speakers are rolled off below 80hz (where you'd probably cross them, anyway) and would bring the cost of this system down so that it's right in line with your budget.

The Ohms are omnidirectional speakers which have a dedicated following on this forum - see the long-running Ohm Micro Walsh Tall thread. I'm 100% sure that they're not for everybody, but the Ohms definitely win over a fair number of those who give 'em a shot. Similarly, I found digital room correction (SMS-1) with good subwoofers pretty addictive once I tried it. The system allows for easy, seamless integration and smooth bass response via optimal placement of the subs and, where necessary, EQ, all aided by video readout.

There may be somthing else out there in your price range that you prefer, but I certainly haven't heard anything that I prefer.

Good Luck,

Marty

PS You can substitute a single sub or use SVS subs (I haven't heard 'em, but they're highly regarded) and save a few hundered dollars (or more), as well. The return policy still applies, and it's nice to have that in your back pocket.
I own a pair of Fontaines (originals, not the II's) and they are superb for jazz, and lite-classical, but for full orchestra classical and rock they need LF assistance. With a (or a pair of) sub(s) and a pair of Jim Goulding's felt tweeter pads they become excellent for classical and rock. They are outstanding speakers in that they are very durable (do not get congested or compress) and are neutral yet highly musically involving.
Look for used Joseph Audio Rm25si MkII's.
They will be outstanding for type of music you listen to, work well with your amplification and not need subs.
Very easy to place in room, large sweet spot.
Extremely difficult to make sound bad.
I have not heard anything in a box speaker under 10k that i would trade them for.
Salk speakers
songtowers with ribbon tweeters or stretch a little for VT2s

these are really incredible speakers without all the fancy mark up, and the cabinets - glorious

salksounds.com