what are the thoughts of stand alone super tweeter

i want to buy a pair of totally stand alone super tweeters, with all necessary parts built into the super tweeter, just place it on top of my speakers and run speaker cables to piggyback my present speakers connections or even come off my power amp.please tell me pros and cons. price seems to be from $500-$3000 except for the radio shack built years ago.which sell for about $80.00 used........... audiogon has the high end ones all the time, is it worth my money... regards forevermusic414
forevermusic414
Sns, since my experience is limited to using the Muratas with the Beauhorns and then the Acapellas, it is hardly generalizable. Earlier when I had Altec VATers, however, and tried the Ionovacs with them, I did have unsatisfactory interactions in the top frequencies. I had assumed it was because you could hear music from the Ionovacs, which came down to 7000 Hz, if I remember correctly.

Faziod, mine is the same experience, at least so far, with the Muratas.
generally speaking, a band aid for a loudspeaker, a placement, or room problem....rarely a cure.
Ihave been looking into the super tweet subject for awhile.I have no reason to add a pair,from any lack of audible performance,and my speaker is ruler flat to 25khz.

Yet,I heard the Townshends on a pair of Sonus Extrems,and NO person can tell me it was not a HUGE improvement!!

Yet,and yet it is still dependent on the main speaker,and room situation.ALL systems are actually voiced with "room/speaker/amp",and the combination of those factors will determine the success of the final sound.

Since the Extremas(a great speaker,especially with the Townshends)have tweeters that roll off at 17khz,the super tweeter subject is a good idea here,and the Townshends can b adjusted for gain,so it's not a stretch there.

But,in my case I "think" I'd be playing with fire,since I have superb high freq performance,and cannot risk it.

"Except" I occassionally get enthused all over again,when I read about the virtues of hyper extended highs,now "supposedly" available on some of the new domes and ribbons.....Then I'll play some "high freq loaded" program material,and the desire to add something else goes away!

Just my 2 cents.

Best
I am well aware that the Ionic driver was not a super tweeter as such. My point was that it went out as far as a typical super tweeter, did not require a crossover to a tweeter as it went low enough to mate directly with a cone woofer/midrange but still , despite the best efforts of B&W, was not totally satisfactory. I have seen any number of revolutionary tweeters and super tweeters come and go over the last 40 odd years. The problem has always been matching them to the rest of the system. My speakers are also flat out to 25k and I must admit to being puzzled as to what extending it to , say ,40k would achieve. I would not be the best judge in any case as my ears will no longer hear 16k.