What DAC to use with a Sony XA7ES

I find my XA7ES which is a stock unit is on the heavy side of sound. Meaning I feel I have to much low end and not controlled. Want to get more excitement into this unit. I can use more detail in the mids and less boom on the low end. I want to try a Dac and hoping someone else is using the XA7ES for a transport and what Dac you may be using with good results.
Any help on picking out a Dac would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave
valleyplastic
11-16-06: Tvad
Auphile1 seems to believe the answer to all audio issues is new or different wire. It's a constant theme. Wire change is one approach. It's not the only approach.

Grant,
Only because cabling and the rest of the system wasn't mentioned in original thread, I thought I'd explore the possibility. Also, because I am familiar with the sound of the Sony XA7ES.

I've heard a cheap dac. Not the one you mentioned though.

And what should I endorse? Should I recommend something I am not familiar with? I can't do that.
Aren't you endiorsing products you own? Moscode, the above mentioned dac, purist dominus power cord? Next time when you try to accuse someone of something, make sure you're not guilty of the same crime.

You seem to take offense when other people's opinions differ from yours. That's fine. You also self-proclaimed to be a moderator to some posts....well sort of...

Have a nice day.
Audphile1, sorry for the criticism. You offer credible alternatives.
I've heard a cheap dac. Not the one you mentioned though.
Then I hope you'll agree that to make a generalization based on experiencing only one component could be interpreted as being less than fully informed.

And what should I endorse? Should I recommend something I am not familiar with?
Of course not. I simply have seen several suggestions of wire made recently in response to questions having nothing to do with cabling. Perhaps I am also guilty of generalizing.

Aren't you endiorsing products you own? Moscode, the above mentioned dac, purist dominus power cord?
I recommend products with which I am familiar, whether I own them, I have owned them, or I have simply heard them in a familiar system. Recently, there have been several questions raised that correlate to products with which I have first hand knowledge. The Moscode amp, Paradisea DAC, and Purist cables are a few. I have also mentioned other products that I don't own presently, but that I have heard in my system and which might be worth hearing for the person asking the question.

Finally, I hope you'll see my criticism was based on your recommendation as it applied to the question, and that I did not at any time attack you personally.
I want to thank all of you for your input. I have decided to buy a Dodson 217 MKll up graded to the 218. I bought this late last night on Audiogon.
Once I get this in place I will then look for better speaker cables then what I have now. I think either in the Audience line or HT Pro 9 Plus. I had the Pro 9 Plus a couple years ago and was very impressed. I then moved onto Harmonix. The only difference I could hear between the 2 was the low end was deeper and tigher with the Harmonix.
Should be some difference at 2 1/2 times the cost.
Thanks again fellows for you help, it is appreciated.
Dave
Used to own a XA7ES about 3 to 4 years ago. Very competent unit. So be sure that you are actually upgrading by going to a DAC solution, not going side ways.

I did try a few DAC with the Sony player but did not find anything better. Just different favors. Cal Sigma, Wadia 16 cd player's digital input, and Meridian 566 DAC.

I like the ideas of tube buffer stage DAC though. Allows some experiments on tube choices to change the sound.