What has your audiophile experience taught you about yourself?

So that is the question, "What has your audiophile experience taught you about yourself?" I would think it interesting to know what others have found in an introspective way. This is what I have found.

1. At first I believed in the hype created by over-enthusiastic new gear owners. Most often I made mistakes in buying gear other people liked rather than listening to audio components and picking the pieces I enjoyed.
2. I found more actual enjoyment in listening to my music and my equipment rather than lust after better equipment, much of which is out of my financial reach.
3. I can learn from others on audio sites like audiogon.com. Some other sites are much more geared toward advertising than exchange of ideas and/or opinions.
4. It is ok to want a Bose Wave radio. I once owned Bose 901 speakers in the 80's.
128x1282psyop
At First,
I was just child who loved music and had a phonograph.
2nd, the phonograph stopped working and I tried to fix it by trying to pack ribbon spring back. Instead, the spring went all the way up till reached ceiling.
3rd, I'm in tears and dad brought Telefunken tube console with turntable, tuner, r2r and 8-track player. That triggered me collecting LPs. When it was not sounding good or breaking, I watched dad to replace bad tubes by simple swapping good with bad.
4th I go to after-school to study radio and electronics and also go to the school of music to study accordion, piano and guitar.
5th, I realized in depth -- I LOVE MUSIC and something definitely I'd like to do: either play it or listen via good sounding equipment.
6th, I spend more time in after-school than in school trying to void showing up at school as often as possible (finding various reasons of absence such as rehearsal or illness) to dedicate myself to my devotions: music and electronics.
7th, I'm savvy enough to fix TV or any home-electronic device, but my skills for music not picking up or picking up extremely slow. I'd finally built my modest repertoire consisting of mostly classical dances such as Mazurka, Waltz, Polonaise, Adagio of various classical composers such as Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Strauss. I've also got some recording equipment and after listening to myself recorded as if I would be performing live for at least half-hour, I'm loosing hopes to improve as a musician :(
8th, I found out that trucks from Europe crossing almost right where I lived and started a conversation about records that I need. Every time I was able to get rare records (I only was interested in unused condition period), I was bringing them home, record to r2r and than sell them on market to purchase another to re-sell. Still attending elementary school mostly on exams
9th, I built the bank-roll to buy-sell records and collectibles including great audio-electronics.
10th, Established a gigantic record collection with mostly 80's music that I listen till now. It always gets upgraded and it always has additions and it always grows despite the fact that I sell most at the store and online. 
I once was insatiable ...had to have the latest and greatest....now, I just enjoy the music...  even Spotify
Ultimately, it really is all about the music.  Gear that makes listening more enjoyable - yes.  Anything else, no.  Fooled around for years thinking the latest was the greatest.  Then I got a Sony CDP-101 and realized that progress for the sake of progress is nonsense.

That's when I truly discovered happy listening!  Never looked back, either.

Ahh, those Bose 901's were ahead of their time- though Mr. Vandersteen's efforts put them to shame, in my opinion.
I never had other owners/reviewers influence my decision (remember this is the 80's, no internet), regarding stereo equipment. I only relied upon my ears. 
After 30+ years, I still remembered those Vandy 2 speakers. In fact, after 30 years of inactivity, I ended up with a pair of 3a sigs.
So, yes, Agon is a true friend to all who need to learn about what is available, and many members will provide an unbiased opinion on equipment, though you may have to parse through some biased material.