What is Audio Researches best preamp period

Tube or solid state from the oldest to the newest ref ser ,what is the best one they made or make.
bbaxley2
Avguygeorge, correct, I am Aesthetix Callisto and Io but was trying to give an ARC opinion based on some I have owned (SP10 SP11 and Ref 2 Mk2).

The new Russian tubes I am referring to are replacements for the earlier 6922 but are not interchangeable. Anyone looking for ARC that has NOS equivalent just check to see if it has the line up I listed:
The Ref 2 uses eight 6922's in the main unit and 5AR4, 6L6GC, and 6922 in the power supply.

I would normally do a web search to clarify exact model numbers but I board a plane for Denver AudioFest very shortly.
Keis, I completely agree. The LS2B is, perhaps, the worst preamp I have ever heard. Painfully bright.
Just to show you how useless all our opinions are. I wanted something different than my Hovland, which I switched to after owning a ARC 5 for a few years.
My local dealer for Musical Surrounding's various lines, let me borrow a Calypso/Rhea for 10 days. I also brought in a REF 3/PH5 and went back and forth. Either would make me happy but, I preferred the ARC combo. Dead quiet with terrific bass authority. The real surprise, at least for me, was the PH5. What a unbelievable product for the price. I wouldn't say it was better than the RHEA but, absolutly it's equal.