What is new with the Memory Player?

I have read that this player is the next great source at the online mags. Have others heard this player and is it currently being sold? What are the impressions of those who have heard this machine? Any information would be nice since I have read almost nothing other than what is contained in the magazines. Bob
128x128baranyi
"Tokyo, Japan, June 27, 2007—Asahi Kasei EMD today launched the AK4397, a 32-bit 192kHz high performance audio DAC for professional audio equipment and top-of-the-line consumer DVD/DVD-Audio/SACD player, AV receiver and digital mixer product applications. The AK4397 is the newest line-up of our Audio4proTM product range.

The new 32-bit digital operation block provides a fully 32-bit processing for the audio interface, perfect linear phase digital filter and delta-sigma modulator. It allows high accuracy D/A conversion of 32-bit audio signal generated by high accuracy processor such as 32-bit DSP.

Innovative design techniques include a symmetrical layout for the left-right switched capacitor DAC and fully separated analog power routing to avoid any degradation by cross talk and common impedance. Additionally, own unique switched capacitor DAC with excellent anti-jitter performance, circuit design to suppress the jitter generated internally, dedicated power supply pin for clock circuit result in unprecedented sound quality.

The AK4397 further provides a dedicated input port for direct stream digital (DSD) data input, sampling rate from 30kHz to 216kHz, fully differential analog outputs, digital attenuator, de-emphasis filters, soft mute and zero detection functions. The performance is THD+N of -103dB and S/N of 120dB. The operating voltage is 5V.

The AK4397 is available in a 44-pin LQFP package. Function and software compatibility with the industry standard AK4396 24-bit Audio DAC means a simple upgrade path for AK4396-based systems. For a demo of its high quality sound, the AK4397 evaluation boards and samples are available now. To obtain more information, contact Asahi Kasei EMD Corporation, Audio & Video Business Operation, Nishi-Shinjuku 1-23-7, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160-0023, Japan."
I want to point out that both Vincent and his partner both contacted me about auditioning their player. Unfortunately, I had a sudden change of plans was not able to audition this noteworthy piece of gear. I hope to go the Rocky Mountain Audiofest in October to hear it then. Bob
Well, now you all know it, the AK4397 is, to my knowledge, the first 32 bit DAC ever, incorporating unique and patented technologies. I was honored to evaluate it at various development stages, including the latest finalized one. It is a "true miracle", IMO!

Needless to say, the AK4397 will be used in all flagship APL Hi-Fi digital products the moment it becomes available.

Since I know that AK4397 was very recently finalized and, at this time, only samples are available, I was very curious to find out what is the "mystery 32 bit DAC" claimed to be in the MP ever since it was introduced? I was just not aware that such thing exists besides the brand new, and until recently, "top secret" AK4397.

Regards,
Alex
You may be using the same DAC! The Memory Player's DAC is still in development and is not shipping at this time, maybe they had designed it with this chip in mind and had a preproduction sample, just like you.

I will find out from George.

I find it rather interesting that Kana made this post about the 32bit DAC suddenly being here and then APLhifi came in to to say they are using it, when you first questioned how could Nova Physics be using a 32bit dac when they don't exist, well clearly they do.

Does Kana work for you? Your attacks on the Memory Player and this sudden shift to promote your product is rude.

Alex I don't care how expensive or magnificent your products are, Optical playback is inferior and can not no matter what compensate for the ECC related problems and recreated data that optical playback generates.

The entire industry will be adopting over time a hard drive based playback model it is superior, it is jitter free, and it makes cataloging music easy.

Why don't you move to the future and create your own version of the memory player? If you are so smart to beat Mark Porzilli, the man who at age 12 was designing technology for Baush and Lomb, then prove it, for your edification here is a bit about Mark:

Mark Porzilli, a former child prodigy, was able to wire simple circuits and draw schematics at age 5. He completed a masters level education in Physics, Quantum Mechanics and Chemistry at age 14, after winning a national competition to miniaturize electronic circuitry for Bausch & Lomb at age 12. That same year, he designed biofeedback electronics for several New Jersey hospitals, and
entered two state science fairs, winning first place in both. A scholar of religious philosophy and a prolific artist/

By strange coincidence, new designs in LASER seems to be a 'family tradition'. Anthony Porzilli, Mark's father, was the chief electronics technician under Lucio Vallese at ITT Laboratories during his pioneering work on the Ruby Laser, in the early 1960s. He
recalls the extremely precise polishing of "barrels" of rubies, until a single frequency of light ONLY could pass through them!
Mark designed all of Melos Audio's solid state and vacuum tube
products with George Bischoff from 1979-1999. He is also the
designer of the original, award winning Pipedreams Loudspeakers.
He is the designer of the new Scaena Line Source Loudspeakers
as well.

In its 20 year history, Melos Audio garnered over 200 rave reviews
from 30 countries, on six continents. Melos won Stereophile's
"Product of the Year" for its legendary SHA-1 Headphone
Amplifier and "Editor's Choice" in The Absolute Sound. The
original Pipedreams won TAS' "Golden Ear" too.

Mr. Porzilli and Mr. Bischoff are true pioneers in the field and have a proven track record of producing excellent products and creating great sound. Melos was a company that was booming in the 90's and was lauded by many magazines for their great sound and engineering prowess.

Why digress, because a company is as only as good as the people behind it and these two men are both gentleman with knowledge and talent.

You are only focusing in on the DAC side of the equation, a DAC can only perform with the data it is given 32bit or 24bit is almost immaterial when you are dealing with ECC corrupted data you are over before you've begun.

The Memory Player as wells as the VDS are the first audiophile products to address this new model. Wake up fellow audiophiles Memory Playback is vastly superior to optical reading it is that simple and yes it is that much better!

"Does Kana work for you?"

Audiooracle aka the Audio Doctor-

Very funny. You're the only shill in this thread.

I don't sell, don't own and don't plan to own any Aplhifi
gear.

I've never had the pleasure of meeting Alex, never talked
with him on the phone or sent him a PM. I have posted on his forum.

"The Memory Player's DAC is still in development and is not shipping at this time."

Will they have one at RMAF? Will it have all the latest
upgrades?