What is the best SS Amp and Pre given the trends?

I currently have an active Linn system (Klouts, Kairn, Kabers) and want to upgrade. I originally chose Linn because of it being more musical verses sterile sounding and it's small foot print. In looking at upgrade choices, I've been surprised about how the once frowned upon Class D amps are suddenly getting noticed (Nuforce, Channel Island, Bel Canto). I'd like to get better sound stage, image, power capability, and detail without harshness or having to going the tube route. I've read mixed reviews on the Ayre MX-R's, so I'd appreciate forum members thoughts on current market choices and considerations for putting together a new system.
cvman
>>It's probably the best solid state amplifier available<<

I don't know for certain but Nelson Pass may take issue with that.
Could be, Bill. I sold my Aleph 30 after I bought the Red Wine. I've heard that the new First Watt stuff comes closer to Vinnie's amp and may even be as good.
I haven't heard the First Watt so no opinion is offered; my comment alluded to the XA series with which I am quite familiar.

Disclaimer: Pass retailer
The Pass Aleph 30 is the second best amplifier I have heard in my system, beaten only by latest AtmaSphere MA-1s with Caddock resistor upgrade. I did try a small Linn amp in my system (2120? Can't remember, but had a switching power supply), and was unimpressed (I'm not trying to say the higher end Linn amps wouoldn't be much better, though. Just never heard them). Haven't heard Red Wine or new Pass.
While the 'best' of anything likely does not exist, the musically most satisfying amp I have auditioned this far, regardless of underlying technology, is the new Rowland 312. See my further comments on this device at:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1111288881&openusid&zzGuidocorona&4&5#Guidocorona
Please note that there exists a vast sonic difference between the 312 and the lesser Rowland 501 and 201 monoblocks. The significant price difference is in my own view fully justified.