What's your favorite Apple-based music program?

The J.River Media Center comes highly recommended and was at or near the top of most of TAS's sonic evaluations in their 4-part series about computer-based audio (Dec'11-Mar'12). However, looking over their website and some supporting forums, it appears that it's really a PC-based program. According to what I read on a JRM user forum, JRMC works on a Macintosh if you use Bootstrap to install Windows 7 and run it from there. That runs into a bunch more money and I'm not all that enamored of running the music software in a non-native mode.

OTOH, there's ChannelD's PureMusic. It's $129 vs. JRM's $50, but it's very Mac-friendly.

Any other insights, recommendations, or warnings? I just got an AQ Dragonfly asynchronous USB DAC and want to feed it the best data stream without spending several more hundreds of dollars. I also want to be able to download some 24/96 and 24/88.2 files from HDTracks, so the music-handling s/w has to be comfortable handling FLAC files on a MacBook Pro (OSX Mountain Lion).
johnnyb53
I have been using Audirvana for a while now,and have been happy with the SQ. I just downloaded J River Media Center 18 for the 30 day trial. Has anyone switched over to JRiver MC 18 on a Mac based system. I just started the free trial ,so it is too early to make any comments yet.
I just downloaded J River Media Center 18 for the 30 day trial. Has anyone switched over to JRiver MC 18 on a Mac based system. I just started the free trial ,so it is too early to make any comments yet.

I have but like you, just downloaded this week. I paid for mine since they offer license for the upcoming Mac version 19 which offers even better performance with improved memory play. I'm aware of this only because a beta tester for J River is a friend and keeps me informed.

I had Amarra and Channel D and to me the JRiver is more dynamic but I am not thrilled with the high frequencies. That being said, I'm using the lowly Oppo BDP-105 USB input so it serves as the primary DAC.

The same CD on the Oppo sounds better than ripped track played back via my Mac Mini. I've got several interface cables including those that came with my Oyen Digital plus Purist and Audioquest Diamond. The FireWire 800 cable from Audioquest is excellent and at this time the only aftermarket (audiophile) option I have for FireWire. For USB I have generic, a couple from Purist and the Audioquest Diamond.

Regardless of which I choose the tonal balance is unpleasant compared to spinning the CD. My files are Flac, ripped with no compression and include HD Tracks and other high quality sources as well.

I want this to work and hope a better DAC plus upcoming JRiver 19 bring this up to where I'm excited about the sound. Too much material on digital (only) to not have a way to listen and enjoy.
Albert, I still have to do more listening,but so far there is some good things going on with the J-River 18 and some not so good, that i have not put my finger on yet.The leading edges seem livelier than that of Audirvana,,more listening tonight!
I just made the switch from Audirvana to Jriver. There were some bugs to work through but overall both of these programs sound very good to me, better than Pure Music. I prefer the Jriver UI and like the fact I do not have to rely on iTunes any longer. However, in the future I see myself going with a solution like the Sonore Rendu and being Linux based will probably mean switching to another software program.

Just for reference I am currently using an Oyen Digital 1TB HD connected via FW800 to a MacMini with a WyWires USB cable going to an Audiophilleo AP1 with Pure Power and then using a BNC to RCA adapter to connect directly to my Lessloss DAC bypassing the SPDIF digital cable. I did some upgrades to the MacMini as well.
Albert, I still have to do more listening,but so far there is some good things going on with the J-River 18 and some not so good, that i have not put my finger on yet.The leading edges seem livelier than that of Audirvana,

Exactly, the leading edge is killing me. I'm getting more sibilance too compared to Channel D.

I love the JRiver interface and the fact it plays all files without need or permission from iTunes.

I hope release 19 improves things.