which - adcom, cambridge audio, outlaw, rotel

Hi. So, I'm in the odd position of having only speakers, having just sold my Marantz SR7000 A/V receiver two weeks after buying it off of CL because it didn't sound very good for rock and hip hop, but was great for jazz, pop, and classical. The plain vanilla JVC DVD player also went. The speakers are Paradigm Studio 20s on stands also from CL.

This is a two-channel music only system in my medium sized living room. Only sources will be CD and flac player (maybe through outboard DAC). i don't listen to radio.

I like clarity but not cold sound, and occasionally rock the house with hip hop or rock, mostly it is lighter stuff at low to moderate volumes.

Now, I've ordered a Cambridge Audio Azur 340A (only $200 from audio advisor), and am involved in auctions/trades for the following:

ADCOM GTP-400 preamp & ADCOM GFA-535 amp for $200 (both)
Pioneer Elite PD-M53 CD player (trade)
Rotel RCC-955 CD player (auction)
Cambridge Audio Azur 640C v2 (auction)
Outlaw Audio 1050 receiver (auction)

Based on the speakers and my listening habits, which should I pursue? Is there any new equipment that would put all of this in the shade at a total price of say $600 for integrated amp or amp/pre-amp and CD player.

I can afford considerably more, but cannot at this point justify small fortunes to listen to music. I am terminally cheap! :) See if you can convince me to spend more if there's a good price/quality balance involved.

Thanks.
vivaslb
Thanks for the extensive and detailed response Johnnyb53. I will check out the Onkyo. Funnily enough, I have an Integra DTR 4.5 in my HT system, but haven't really considered neither Integra nor Onkyo, partially for aesthetic reasons. I would prefer something low-profile and understated, even though my wife favors the big, bold, shiny black receivers, like the Marantz SR 7000 that I had in this system.

Any other ideas for receivers or integrated amps that look like the NADs or Cambridge Audio or Rotel? I like clean design but sound trumps.

Thanks,
Keith

Johnnyb53 - Just saw a deal for a McIntosh 4100. How would you compare it with the Onkyo?

Keith
I have very little experience with McIntosh, but I've always liked the way they sound.

Given that the McIntosh 4100 is from about 25 years ago I'd venture that the Onkyo is faster and more articulate. It also has more power (at least on paper) into a 4-ohm load. That doesn't say which one you'd enjoy more. If you pay fair market value or less for a Mac, you'll usually get your money back (or more) when you sell it later.
Any other ideas for receivers or integrated amps that look like the NADs or Cambridge Audio or Rotel? I like clean design but sound trumps.
At $500 or below, the Cambridge 640A v2 would get you a nice combination of sound and sleek looks. I would still give the nod sonically to the Onkyo. It's more relaxed in the midrange. It has the speed, more current delivery, and the ability to drive bass out of floorstanding speakers easily. From a layout and features standpoint I like the Cambridge better--better speaker terminals and it has preamp outputs.

But for sheer sound quality and musical enjoyment, I like the Onkyo better, and to do better than the Onkyo AND get sleek looks, you have to move up to the Nuforce or PS Audio Trio, either of which goes for around $1500.
I did get an Onkyo A-9555 from accessories4less.com. Unfortunately, there seems to be something wrong with it. I only used it as an amp, and when doing so, it only produces sound with the "pure direct" on. This is with using an mp3 player connected to tape, line, or MD; or a DVD/CD player connected to CD.

I spoke to Onkyo and they seemed to think it was defective, so it is going back.

With the "pure direct" engaged, it sounded good, but I wasn't blown away, compared to the Marantz SR-7000 that was in there before. This could be partly due to the fact that the defect biased me against the amp. I listened to some old school rap, Public Enemy, and the power of the bass lines was pretty evident. Also listened to some Bruce Cockburn and the sound was great, but again, I probably wouldn't have been able to distinguish it from the Marantz. Granted, the sources being a Sansadisk mp3 player and a standard JVC DVD player (borrowed from my HT room) likely didn't provide very discriminating inputs.