Which phono preamp?

Hi All,

I am considering getting back into vinyl, Any suggestions on best phono preamp for the money? I was deciding between the internal phono amp from Rogue (I have a Rogue 99 preamp) or something like a Lehmann Audio Black Cube, They both go for about $500-$600. FYI--the rest of my system includes a BAT VK 200, Cary 303, Dynaudio 1.3 MkII, Nordost interconnects and Harmonic Technology Pro-11 Speaker cable.

Thanks
xmore
Having Cary 303 I wouldn't go for Black Cube. I would get either BAT VKP5 or ARC PH3. Also Kora Eclipse full function preamp has a very nice mm/mc phono section.
Thus I suggest you to get phono section according to the rest of your electronics.
A used Sonic Frontiers Phono 1 comes to mind. You might even find the signature version at a good price, but I would get the standard and spend the extra $ on some really good NOS tubes. Also, be sure to match the impedance correctly with the cartridge--most people just use the nominal value, which is not the OPTIMAL value. It's a trial and error process, but one that pays off--possibly the cheapest and most effective turntable tweak in existance.
If you go for the internal phono preamp you have the benefit of not having to purchase an interconnect cable. That money could purchase a whole lot of albums and that what it's all about anyway.
I can't comment on the Rogue internal phono preamp, never having heard it. But in your price range you can get the new Grado phono preamp (which should be available in a month or so), or a used Plinius Jarrah phono stage. Both are better than the Black Cube, and both can embarrass much pricier phono preamps.
Try a TACT preamp module, you add the RCA's and power supply. Very flexible and awesome sound for a lot less.

Mikey Fremmer braggs on the Chamelot Phono section, and ya know what, its a TACT with a power supply and RCA in one box. If you can solder, save a bundle, or build your own battery pack.

just my 2 cents worth.

jeff