Why are record cleaners so expensive?

Full disclosure: I have only the Spin-Clean record cleaner and a Hunt EDA brush to clean my vinyl, but as someone who's been in the digital side of audiophilia for decades, and as someone who knows how much gear can get in any dedicated hobby, I'm still curious as to why a high end vinyl cleaner can cost more than three grand.

I'm not disputing the price; after all, Smith said that something's worth whatever someone pays for it. Moreover, a high end record cleaner might be able to do things to vinyl that nothing else can. Still, paying three grand for an Audio Desk cleaner seems a bit out of reason. $3K can buy a good set of speakers; a hand-made fly-fishing rod based on your height and weight and arm length; two weeks at a Fijian resort for two; a custom-made suit from an Italian mill. So why is a glorified vacuum cleaner $3K?

Again, not flaming, just curious. Enlighten me?

s
128x128simao
samzx12

Just for fun..

Please send me 5 of your favourite records. They don't need to be valuable, or audiophile pressings, just some that you know well and enjoy. I will double-clean them on my Audio Desk and Klaudio machines for FREE, you just pay postage..

That's $25 of free cleaning - If samzx12 doesn't want to take me up on the offer, then another thread contributor should please let me know if they would like to do it and report back to the thread!

You could then decide from first-hand personal experience:

1 - Do expensive ultrasonic record cleaning machines make a real world difference that's worthwhile?

2 - Is the difference one that's easily heard on your system?

3 - Does that difference matter to you as much as spending money on upgrading equipment?

Let me know!
Dave 
samzx12

That's great!

Just sent you a message through the "Marketplace Feedback" page. I'm not sure if that's best way, but I'm a relatively new member here, so not sure if I can PM yet, maybe just email me..

Thanks,
Dave at RecordGenie.com
I have never owned a record cleaning machine.  That said I play records nearly every day, and I clean them with a Audio Technica record brush and a record cleaning solution that I got out of the December 1996 Stereophile magazine.  Over half of my Lp's are used, however after years of play none have any substantial clicks, ticks or pops.  I clean at every play.  Friends often remark at how silent they are.  If anyone wants a copy of the formula just email me for the pdf.
n at normansizemore dot com.
Norman
Can all you GUY'S say WATER AND DAWN FOR GET THIS!! $1.99 AND IT IS GENTLE ON YOUR HANDS!!!!