Why do I keep torturing myself with remasters?

I am really beginning to believe these 180 remasters are mixed for a 500.00 system.It seems every one I buy it's either super bright,or has an ass load of bass in all the wrong places.The Bowie i have the soundstage is all wacked out .I have a decent setup but i can't imagine how much more obvious it must be on a serious setup.I can say the Yes fragile I got lately (cut fromt he original tapes) sounds pretty good ,Zeppelin In thru the outdoor Yikes! so bright waste of 25.00 again..... 
128x128oleschool
Two best remasters on cd that I heard were original MFSL 'Inner Mounting Flame' by Mahavishnu Orchestra and JVC XRCD Getz/Gilberto. I am sure there are many more especially Japanese. That MFSL is in fact the most analog-like sounding cd I ever heard, actually better in most aspects than original American LP pressed on recycled vinyl. If they could manage one recording, most or all recordings could be managed as well. And I am quite certain there are still people in the know who know how to do it. But almost everything is mass-market now, often even so-called high end. Who wants to go extra mile let alone two? 
Bill: Is your after the Gold Rush an Artisan? Have been looking but I've never seen one in my travels here in Canada but do have a friend with an Artisan copy and it really does sound fabulous and quite a bit better than other early/earlier pressings which I've heard. 
hdm- yep, the RE-1 is an Artisan, the RE-2 looks like a Winchester. The labels are a bit different too--no Warner in a bubble on the inner rim of the label circumference writing of the RE-1, which also has the words 'STEREO' in block print at 6 o' clock on the label. (I have several different records from Reprise from this era with the STEREO marking as described that all sound really good, never checked to see if that is because they are all Artisans- i think that style label was only used briefly). The RE-1 is punchier sounding than the RE-2. 
"Why do I keep torturing myself with remasters?"

You support every cause  :)

Thanks Bill. I will keep my eye out for one. 

(I'm blakep over at the Hoffman forum ;)  )