Why do no audio enthusiasts use McIntosh?

With the exception of some of there tube gear, not many really use this stuff(or admit to it anyway), I am mainly referring to there amps. They look pleasant, they look good on paper and have the price of high end gear, but I seldom hear anyone claiming to like or one day dreaming of owning McIntosh. I have never really listened to there stuff, no good word of mouth sort of scares me away from it, the only people who like it are those who sell it, an uncanny coincidence? I don’t know. Sorry it this has been covered many times in the past, I ran a search and could not find anything.
tireguy
Aball, yeah I realize I got really lucky on the Mc's and speakers. I did do alot of looking, talking to people and following up on leads, but it seems to have paid off. I guess it goes to show that a blind squirrel does find an acorn every once in a while. I don't know if the upgrade bug will hit me, but for now, I am very happy with what I hear.

Take care!!
Guys,
I have always had a pre-conceived opinion about Mc products.My Cary dealer also carries Mcintosh products-I sneered at him (within myself)for suggesting a Mcintosh monobloc.
A few months ago I listened to the mc 501s.They were just fantastic.I have listened to other reference components before.The new generation Mcs are something different.I dont want people to miss out on a good product because of snobbery and pre-conceived ideas.IMO Mc 501s are in the league of Krell,PLinius,Classe Omega,etc
My experience and hence my opinion is limited to the MCintosh amps alone.I dont know how their CDPs perform.
Wwwrecords, because you DO know what sounds good to you, your system will be far better than most who have spent more either trying to impress someone (themselves), or believing salesmen or reviewers. Enjoy what you have. I have only one rule: If it draws me more into the music, I'll buy it. Good luck.
while there is no way subjectively compare audio, and results in as many opinions as people, the same is not so for the automobile. The longest consecutively produced car in the world? Worlds most winning (preformance, endurance, competition) car? The one sports car that has outsold every other sports car in the world COMBINED? The fastest car in America today? At over 50 years,and now 500 horses.You don't have to like it, but come on tireguy, the worst car on the road? TAlk about an attitude. this site has the trophy.ALL the know-it-alls, yet no way to know it!
Had a funny experience yesterday. Another Audiogon member with whom I speak regularly--and someone who has owned and heard some very fine audio gear--asked me if I had any familiarity with McIntosh. And the subsequent conversation went like this:

ME: "Yeah, we just bought a McIntosh amp (MC7200) a few weeks ago."

HIM: "You did?! How do you like it?"

"We love it. Now we have our SET amps for the intimate music, and the McIntosh will drive all the music we like that is more punchy. Plus, we leave it on all the time, and the power cord is captive, so I don't have to fuss with that either. I primarily listen to it, not the SET's, since the MAC is on all the time."

"But what about the sound?"

"Not as airy and textured as our SET amps, but with the tube preamp, it's pure joy. It just sounds like beautiful, rounded, dense music, perfectly balanced, never fatiguing, and completely engaging."

"Did you ever have a bias against McIntosh, you know, think of it as audiophile gear for NON-audiophiles?"

"Yep. I always thought that somehow it wouldn't be on the same level as the better audio gear out there."

"I always thought so, too," he said, "and I have no idea why. But the reason I was calling was to get your opinion since I just ordered an MC275 today!"

My wife and I cannot see ourselves WITHOUT a piece of McIntosh gear. Love it! Oh, and I called McIntosh Labs to order replacement bulbs for the amp. I was on/off the phone within three minutes, order completed. I was impressed.