Why Does All Music Sound the Same; An Explanation

Since the topic of music production, mastering, and the Loudness Wars comes up frequently on the forum, here's a good tour through the process.
(It's a few years old but still very relevant).

https://medium.com/cuepoint/why-do-all-records-sound-the-same-830ba863203

128x128lowrider57
But the Loudness Wars also applies to classic rock and music recorded in the analogue age. Their re-releases now being sold as "remastered," meaning the recordings have been improved.

Only a small percentage have been improved by digital doctoring.

Their re-releases now being sold as "remastered," meaning the recordings have been improved.

Some are more compressed, and more EQ'd, some are less. Really depends on who is doing the remastering and who they perceive as their target audience. This is one clear advantage DSD has. When a DSD re-issue is planned, they KNOW their audience is audiophiles, so generally (which is all we are talking here) DSD, like vinyl, has a particular brand.

And yes, of course the article applies to commercial music. Just saying, there's a lot more music out there man. Unbelievably large amounts.

Best,
E
Very true about target audience, but I’m making the point that the mainstream music biz is in a sad state.

Erik, I listen to 90% classical so this doesn’t affect me for the most part. It’s only when I listen to rock and some remastered jazz which has been compressed that causes me grief.

Very true about target audience, but I’m making the point that the mainstream music biz is in a sad state.

Yep. I mean, this "it all sounds the same" is probably true for pop music in any genre. For R&R it probably started with the "wall of sound" treatment, even before compression started. You were supposed to consume it like bubble gum, drive to it, or dance to it.

It is the rare musician whose craft requires us to stop and pay attention anymore in this genre.
Consider however that this homogenization is kind of always with us. Chamber music with it’s basso continuo. Then classical music with predefined sections, and two combating melodies. They set the popular standards which make us notice when artists deviate from them.

And don't get me started on Nashville Country or Mexican Norteno music.  << shiver >>  The words are even the same for heaven's sake.  It is like playing a game of fill in the blank.

Best,
E

Compressed dynamics and excessive loudness are two different but often related things.